word processor plugin connects to wrong firefox process on multiuser linux machine

I have experienced the following since I have used Zotero, and it is an issue on vnc multiuser machines. I am currently using Zotero 4.0.28.3 with Libreoffice 4.2.8.2 word processor plugin 3.5.9 on linux 64 bit Ubuntu 14.04 (3.13.0-46-generic #79-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 10 20:06:50 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux). However, the problem has existed on all previous versions of Zotero that I have used in the past years.

This is what happens:
User A starts firefox (has zotero plugin installed).
User B starts firefox (has zotero plugin installed).
User B starts LibreOffice (word processor plugin installed).
=> the pop-ups for user B appear in firefox from session A.

It seems that the word processor plugin always communicates with the "oldest" firefox process, which, on a multiuser linux machine, does not necessarily belong to the same user. Even if user B quits all firefox and libreoffice processes, opening them again does not change anything unless user A also quits firefox (which is currently the only workaround).

This is not only a direct "privacy" problem but also impacts on the usability of firefox. I have not tried what happens in case of multiple instances of zotero standalone but could imagine a similar problem.

Is there a way to incorporate the "user" identification in the "screening" for running firefox processes? Probably this is not an issue on other platforms as they are usually single user.

I would be glad if this could be fixed in future versions.
  • Simon would have to say if it's possible to fix this, but I've created an issue for it. Thanks.
  • Hi Dan
    thanks for checking. I can just guess how difficult that is, given that it may not be possible get the "current user" information. It is, however, sort of a security problem in firefox, too (strictly speaking). I was not aware that it is that easily possible to have two programs, started by different users, communicate with each other.
    Still hoping there could be a fix for this.