Multiple references to same source in a single footnote [patch available]

The multiple citations interface currently allows only one reference to a given resource within a single citation. Both the Chicago Manual of Style and the Bluebook provide for ibid (or id) back-references within the same footnote.

I'm not sure how much work would be required to enable this, but it would be very nice to have that flexibility.
  • edited January 4, 2009
    I have made the necessary adjustments in addCitationDialog.js to support multiple references to the same source, maintaining separate locator information for each. The patch extends the keys in _itemData with the list position in the right-hand box, and renumbers the keys when an item is deleted from the list. It seems to work smoothly. Let me know if the patch is of interest, and I can post it to a ticket. This was done against a recent 1.0 snapshot.

Update: I have also refactored the code that evaluates position, so that ibid references are correctly produced within a citation as well as against a previous note containing a single reference to the same source. In the course of putting all of this together, I came across a couple of bugs in addCitationDialog.xul, with actions that were not invoking properly. If someone opens a ticket, I can put up a patch for inspection.