Zotero 4.0.28 from Ubuntu PPA freezes

I went through a small ordeal after upgrading to Zotero 4.0.28 standalone, to use with LibreOffice under Ubuntu 12.04.

Inserting some citations (not all!) would have Zotero Freeze. This was a new behavior.

A test in a Win7 VM with LO 4.3, using the current library was successful, which prompted me to try various LO versions. So, I tried LO 4.3, 4.4 and 5.0 from PPA and also 4.4 from the website. All these, combined with various versions of Java (1.6, 1.7, 1.8), but to no avail.

Finally, the solution came when I downgraded to Zotero 4.0.27 from the Zotero website.

Et voila! It worked again.

I suppose that the problem is with the PPA version of 4.0.28 standalone?

I don't know, so I just mention this for anyone who might be affected by this issue.
  • (Note that we don't maintain packages from other sites, and the latest version of Zotero on zotero.org is 4.0.28, so that'd be the one to try.)
  • edited September 14, 2015
    Thanks Dan,

Actually, Zotero updated itself yesterday to 4.0.28 (from the website, as I have deactivated the PPA) and the problem resurfaced. After I deleted the new install and reinstalled 4.0.27, things are working again.

I have now deactivated automatic updates until a newer version comes out or a bug is located.
  • You can try generating real-time debug output while reproducing this to see 1) if Zotero is doing anything while it's frozen or 2) what the last few lines of debug output are.
  • I did it, but it's ~2000 lines of messages and there does not seem to be an "attach" function.

Should I paste the whole message below?
  • zip and e-mail to support@zo...ero.org
  • Was there still output while it was frozen, or is what you sent the end of the output before the freeze?
  • No, when it froze the console output stopped.

The "Killed" message was when I stopped it from the GUI (it was not responsive when I tried to close the window and I chose the "Force quit").
  • Does this happen in a new document as well, or just in an existing one?
  • It happens also in new documents, with just one citation.

Note that this happens only for some "offending" citations, not all of them. However, I haven't been able to find the common attributes of the "offending" ones.