Error 490616139

Zotero keeps crashing Firefox. I can edit/tag/import a few references, and then Firefox just hangs. I think it does this when it tries to sync my library to the server, which is why I can work for a few minutes each time before it crashes. It doesn't do this if I'm not working in Zotero.

Mac 10.5.5, Firefox 3.0.5, MacBook Pro, Zotero Sync 1.5-sync3.5
-----

[JavaScript Error: "this.docShell is null" {file: "chrome://global/content/bindings/browser.xml" line: 0}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Another sync operation is already in progress' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Another sync operation is already in progress' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]
  • If you a have a large library or a slow Internet connection, Firefox may hang the first time you try to sync your library to the server. Turn off auto-sync in the Sync preference pane and the problem should go away.

If you'd like to actually get syncing working, tell us how many items you have. (Select All, look in right-hand pane.) You may just need to wait a few minutes for it to upload the first time.
  • Thanks for the speedy reponse!

I've got 387 items in my library - large, but not huge. Also, it has successfully synced many times in the past, and I'm only adding or changing a few references each day, so it really shouldn't be taxing the sync procedure or my internet connection (broadband cable) too much.

It didn't use to hang (prior to last zotero-sync update). Previously, I've waited over 20 minutes and Firefox remains frozen. When I click on Firefox in the dock, it says something along the lines of "This application is not responding" and there is the option to Force Quit.

Thanks again :)
    CB
  • 387 items shouldn't really take long at all, and if you've synced in the past it should be pretty much instantaneous.

You can run Zotero with debug output enabled and then click the sync button to see if Zotero is actually doing anything. If you send the output to support@zot....org and reference this thread, we'll take a look.
  • Go to the Actions (gear icon) menu and choose Reset Server Lock. Close Firefox, hit Cmd-K in the Terminal to clear what's there, and then restart Firefox, again with debug output enabled. Open the Zotero pane and, if autosync isn't enabled, hit the sync button. Then see what happens, and send the output again if it hangs.
  • Dan, you are terrific. That fixed it! Thank you so much! Is there somewhere I can send positive feedback to?
  • Great. The next Sync Preview build will show a prompt when that occurs instead of just logging an error.

No need to send feedback anywhere, but thanks for the offer. We aim to please.