Error Report Record ID 1946588682

I have an issue when the system clock was running under a wrong date for some time resulting in a sync error in Zotero 4.0.25 Standalone on MacOSX 10.8.5.

The error first was more general: Could not connect to sync server (more detail not available).

After figuring out the time shift (to around 2 moth ago) I readjusted the clock.

After that the regular sync fails.

First you get the usual conflict resolution screens that give you the option to solve changes made from different sources.

You can confirm that with a positive hint to check the result.

-- Alert (in german)
Ein/e oder mehrere lokal gelöschte/r/s Zotero collections wurde seit der letzten Synchronisation an einem nicht-lokalen Dateistandort geändert. Die aktuellsten Versionen wurden beibehalten.

In der Fehlerkonsole finden Sie eine vollständige List der entsprechenden Änderungen.

Then the sync gets stuck with a red acclamation mark next to the sync.
-- end Alert

There is a message:
[JavaScript Error: "Tag 4651 name is empty in Zotero.Tag.save()" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 2566}]

Under the red acclamation mark you can access the full error message that was sended under ID 1946588682:

[JavaScript Error: "TypeError: can't access dead object" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/fulltext.js" line: 515}]
1441787207554 addons.update-checker WARN Update manifest for zoteromaps@zotero.org did not contain an updates property
1441787207674 addons.update-checker WARN Update manifest for zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org did not contain an updates property
1441787207801 addons.update-checker WARN Update manifest for zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org did not contain an updates property
[JavaScript Error: "Eine automatische Synchronisierung führte zu einem Konflikt, der manuelles Eingreifen notwendig macht.

Klicken Sie auf das Synchronisierungs-Icon, um manuell zu synchronisieren." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 2566}]
Security Error: Content at https://hangouts.google.com/webchat/u/0/load?client=sm&prop=homepage&nav=true&fid=gtn-roster-iframe-id&os=MacIntel&stime=1441791189683&xpc=%7B%22cn%22%3A%22mbu3tx%22%2C%22tp%22%3A1%2C%22ifrid%22%3A%22gtn-roster-iframe-id%22%2C%22pu%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fhangouts.google.com%2Fwebchat%2Fu%2F0%2F%22%7D&ec=%5B%22ci%3Aec%22%2Ctrue%2Ctrue%2Cfalse%5D&pvt=
https://plus.google.com/u/0/
/posts/eMvWGnFq3gJ?cfem=1.
[JavaScript Error: "Load denied by X-Frame-Options: https://hangouts.google.com/webchat/u/0/load?client=sm&prop=homepage&nav=true&fid=gtn-roster-iframe-id&os=MacIntel&stime=1441791189683&xpc=
pos=l&uiv=2&hl=en&hpc=true&hsm=true&hrc=true&pal=1&uqp=false&sl=false&mmoleh=36&two=https%3A%2F%2Fplus.google.com&host=1&zx=j1bbjypdoucr does not permit cross-origin framing."]
[JavaScript Error: "ReferenceError: OZ_start is not defined" {file: "https://plus.google.com/u/0/
/posts/eMvWGnFq3gJ?cfem=1" line: 224}]
[JavaScript Error: "TypeError: can't access dead object" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/fulltext.js" line: 515}]
[JavaScript Error: "Tag 4651 name is empty in Zotero.Tag.save()" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 2566}]
  • i had litle problem with this :)
  • Could you check your database integrity from the advanced tab of the Zotero preferences?
  • First of all I deleted the grousy Google attachment. Then the error occured again and the message is now more limited than before:

See full error message that was sended under ID: 1911019520.

This is an order to perform a manual sync:
    [JavaScript Error: "Eine automatische Synchronisierung führte zu einem Konflikt, der manuelles Eingreifen notwendig macht.

Klicken Sie auf das Synchronisierungs-Icon, um manuell zu synchronisieren." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 2566}]

@adamsmith:

database integrity check: No Errors were found!
  • Reproduced the last error after a restart and resync manually exactly under ID: 931264184.

My Question is: Is this affecting only main storage or group storage as well?

Group storage is not updated for or from other group members anymore due to broken sync.

If I reset a sync from server, how can I safely export latest changes?

I the past I had issues to restore my large storage from the server to a new machine. Only copying over the data from filesystem helped.

Maybe there are dead items deeper in there ;-(
  • To wrap it up, the following strategy took me back to a proper syncing database:

I relied on a backup of the database and storage of my local machine from before the clock issue.

Export

- Export all Entries you did after the issue including files into one folder for the main Library and one folder per group libray as well (you may loose subfolders)

Restore

1. Set Zotero to manual sync in the prefs
    2. Open the database location using the Prefs/Advanced/Files & Folders tabs "Open Data Directory" button (see Zotero Docs on syncing for the proper english names)
    3. Close Zotero Standalone or Firefox
    4. Copy (not move) the storage folder and zotero.sqlite file to a safe place on your desktop. Answer Permissions dialogs as necessary.
    5. Make sure you did a proper job! Compare!
    6. Delete the original storage folder and zotero.sqlite file
    7. Copy (not move! Keep it!) the storage folder and zotero.sqlite file from your backup to the regular place.
    8. Start Zotero
    9. Check
    10. Sync with the server

If everything is fine activate autosync.

In my case I expect there was even broken content the issue and just in synchronicity with the clock disaster.

No time to dig deeper for now.