[Juris M] Attachments won't sync

I'm a little hesitant to post this discussion, as I rang a false alarm previously (https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/40369/mlz-attachments-wont-sync/)

But this time is different.

I'm now on a different OS -- OSX, and I've waited more than a couple of days for the attachments to sync, to no avail. Attachment icons remain hollow blue circles rather than turn solid. Also, the sync button -- the green, round arrow -- keeps spinning forever.
  • edited August 15, 2015
    I just retried my test account in a couple of clean profiles with the latest Juris-M version, and sync pulls in the attachments here.

Two things to check for a start:

(1) Be sure you have the latest Juris-M installed. Automatic updates were not working with the early releases in the series, so you may need to manually reinstall from https://juris-m.github.io/downloads

(2) Check one of the items that shows a blue circle to be sure the attachment actually exists on the server - sorry for the pedantic question, but just to be sure.

If you have the latest and it's failing to sync attachments that are known to exist on the server, we'll dig into the log and see what we can find.

A couple of questions about sync:

The spinner should eventually pause and lock up the Firefox UI temporarily, when the initial server data exchange begins. It can take some time for the exchange to begin.

(3) When you say that the arrow spins forever, how long has it been left to run?

(4) How did you move your data across to the new machine? (I'm curious whether sync is working for the item data, even if stalling on the attachments.)
  • I'm actually experiencing stalling in other, Windows-based Juris-M's too.

Even in the Windows-based Juris-M, the arrow has been spinning for over an hour.

Also, it's failing to upload new entries and new collection structure to the Zotero server, which I can confirm by logging on to the Zotero library website.

(I have the latest Juris-M installed, BTW)
  • Just to be sure I understand the details:

(1) On the Windows machine(s), was sync via MLZ/Juris-M formerly working, but has now stopped?

(2) How did you move your data across to the new OSX machine?

(3) Please confirm that the attachment for at least one of the items that is showing an empty attachment on the OSX machine exists on the server.

In addition to those questions, please prepare a log for a sync attempt. The following steps should give us some idea of what's (not) happening:

(a) Turn off automatic syncing.
    (b) Go to Preferences -> Advanced -> General, and click the "Enable" button.
    (c) Click on the sync icon and let it run for ten minutes.
    (d) Go to Preferences -> Advanced -> General and click the "View Output" button
    (e) In the log popup, do Select All, paste the log into a text file, and send it along by email.
  • (1) Yes, I had entries synced as recently as August 4. I see them on the Zotero server

(2) I didn't move my data. I simply installed Firefox and the Juris-M add-on, and let Juris-M sync -- or try to sync.

(3) Yes, they are available on the server side.

The log is in the mail. It should be noted that the spinning arrow didn't stop even after I turned off automatic syncing in the preferences.
  • I've received the log, thanks.

Everything looks normal, with the client polling for sync and receiving this from the server repeatedly:
    (3)(+0000000): Associated libraries are locked -- waiting 130000ms before next check
    From other reports on the forums, I think that may mean a lock has just gotten stuck on your sync account. If you do a similar run again, and post the Debug ID in the subject of a fresh thread, Dan may be able to take a look. I can chime in on the thread if it will help (bedtime here now, but I'll check in the morning).
  • There's an invalid "version" field for a Document item in this data.
  • wonblee: I'll delete that sync from the queue, but you should disable auto-syncing first, because otherwise it will just keep getting stuck.
  • Thanks, Dan - there must be a hole in my sync filter.

wonblee: Hold off on syncing for a bit, it looks like there is a bug. I'll post again after fixing and testing.
  • wonblee,

This was caused by a straight-up mistake on my part: I had misread the role of some new code in Zotero.

Please install the latest m40beta1 release of Juris-M. Testing it with a Document item with a Version value here, it syncs up and syncs down successfully.

If it works on one machine, please post back here, and I'll make it an official release. You can then reinstall the release copy on your test machine, and update the other machines before syncing them.
  • Unfortunately, it's not working for me. I've let the beta sync for over 10 minutes, but the arrow is still spinning and the server shows no change.
  • I was waiting to clear the stalled sync until I heard from you, since it was just going to stall again otherwise. You can try again now.
  • edited August 16, 2015
    Ok, the new beta has solved the stalling issue, but it didn't cure my original problem: attachments not syncing on the OSX machine.

To answer Frank's initial questions:

(1) Be sure you have the latest Juris-M installed.

==> yes, I have the beta installed on the OSX machine.

(2) Check one of the items that shows a blue circle to be sure the attachment actually exists on the server - sorry for the pedantic question, but just to be sure.

==> check. the attachments all exist on the server

(3) When you say that the arrow spins forever, how long has it been left to run?

==> for over an hour

(4) How did you move your data across to the new machine? (I'm curious whether sync is working for the item data, even if stalling on the attachments.)

==> I didn't. I simply installed Firefox and the Juris-M add-on, and let Juris-M do the syncing.
  • Not sure why you're saying it solved the stalling issue. If the sync icon is spinning, it's stalled. I've cleared you once more on the server, but if it's still stalling, this is still broken in Juris-M.
  • @Dan, you're probably right. What I meant was that at least Juris-M can now sync up and down new entries and collections. (Even that was not working up until a couple of hours ago.)
  • @Frank, now I see the blue "progress bar" to the left side of the spinning arrow, and some attachments seem to be downloading.

I'll report back in a while.
  • All is well!
  • wonblee:

That's great news. Glad to hear it's back in order.

The beta will not upgrade automatically. I've prepared a fresh Juris-M release that incorporates the latest changes to Zotero as well as this fix. To get back on the ladder, install the latest version of the Library Client from:

https://juris-m.github.io/downloads

Dan:

Many, many thanks for checking the log entries. I had changed the filtering from "version" to "versionNumber," carelessly assuming that the export format was used for sync.

Two Juris-M item types were affected ("document" and "standard", both of which resolve to Document during sync). I'm sorry for the distraction: with luck, this will be the only stalled sync kicked up by the coding error.