Refresh Firefox from Virus Lost Zotero Library and Synching Information from Old Firefox Profile

I reinstalled Zotero. Forgot how to use old Firefox profile. What can I do now to include old profile to get my library back? Percetta
  • https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/restore_after_firefox_reset
  • I am sorry it is not working. First I did find the files on the desktop under the Old Firefox data folder. Past that point I am clueless. Second, Step 2 is confusing. If this Zotero directory file is to be left open when I close Firefox then that is exactly what I did in Firefox. Third, I found the zotero folder and opened it. I copied the "zotero.sqlite" file and "storage" file; however, since Firefox is closed how can I know that these files were correctly copied to the Zotero data directory? And Zotero was already reinstalled with an empty library.

Final problem, I could not synch since refreshing Firefox removed the Username and password from the synching info. Hence, my library is not restored even though I know the files are there.
  • edited August 10, 2015
    Forget about syncing for the moment. It's better to simply restore the original files so that you see your database before trying to sync.

Can you explain what's confusing about Step 2? Basically all you're doing is locating the data directory in Zotero and replacing the zotero.sqlite and 'storage' files that are there with the zotero.sqlite and 'storage' files from your backup. I updated the page with slightly different instructions that may be a little easier.

You should note the size of the two zotero.sqlite files. One should be about 1 MB, which means it's empty. The other, in Old Firefox Data, should be larger, since that contains your data.
  • I did find the files that you were speaking of. However, since I last spoke to you I got the syncing process to work. The problem is I get a "Conflict Resolution Error Message" for a remote object. I have three different choices to make governed by dates. The latest date would be as of 8/9/2015. Should I choose and tell it to use the remote object with the latest date of 8/9/2015?
  • if everything but the date is the same, it doesn't matter which one you choose. Pick any and click on OK/Next
  • Got it, after checking the box for local objects.