How to Select, E-mail a group of attachments

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to do something like the following:

I frequently would like to select/e-mail/copy a group of attachments (PDFs) from my Zotero library. I've tried selecting the attachments instead of the items and then using ctrl-alt-c, but I only get links to the files instead of the files themselves.

I know I can use "Show File" to work with the attachments individually, but it would be really nice if I could select or move a subset of files all at once.

Even better would be a right-click option called "E-mail to" which opens a new e-mail message, puts in the the citations and attaches the PDFs.

Does anyone know if there is currently a way to do this in Zotero?

Thanks
  • In Firefox 2, you could drag multiple attachments to your desktop to create a folder. This still works in Firefox 3 on OS X, but multi-file drag doesn't work in Firefox 3 on Windows. (Actually, file drag-and-drop is completely broken in Zotero 1.0.7 on Windows, but it will be fixed in 1.0.8, due out shortly. Unfortunately, Firefox 3 on Windows seems to have lost support for multi-file drag.) But in 1.0.8 you'll at least be able to drag attachments one at a time into a folder and then drag those files into your e-mail client.
  • When I try this on Zotero V1.0.9, Foxfire 3.05 all that I can drag is the URL of the item to Thunderbird 2.0.0.28, but the actual content of item does not move.

Any suggestions..

Thanks
  • docweathers: Are you trying to drag directly to Thunderbird, or to a folder on your desktop first as I indicated above?
  • Actually I tried both.
    Items will not drag from the Zotero library to a desk top folder. If you try to drag the item folder to the desktop the cursor is a circle with a like through it. If you try to drag the item in the Zotero folder the + cursor is displayed and it appears that the drag is working, but nothing is deposited in the desktop folder.

As described above, if I try to drag the item from Zotero directly to Thunderbird only the url is moved, not the item itself.

I am running Windows xp sp3.
  • Things that won't work:

- Dragging collections to the desktop
    - Dragging attachments directly to Thunderbird
    - Dragging multiple attachments to the desktop on Windows (works on OS X)

Things that should work:

- Dragging a single non-web-link attachment to the desktop
  • I cannot get "Dragging a single non-web-link attachment to the desktop " to work. However, I did discover that I can use "Show File" to expose the url of the file. Pasting that into the Thunderbird Attach Files>File name window allows you to attach the file directly.
  • If you use Show File, you can just drag the displayed file directly into the Thunderbird address section—no need to copy and paste the URL.
  • Yes that works well.

Thanks Larry