SSL cert_override does not work.

Hello. I have looked for a solution but could not find one.

I am trying to sync zotero standlone with webdev on seafile server. Which sits behind Nginx with HTTPS, the ssl cert was self signed using openssl. I can access the webdav server in chrome and firefox fine, and generation of cert_override.txt in firefox works. Further more zotero in firefox works with the server as well (it successfully syncs, and creating test file in zotero folder).

The problem is even if I place the cert_override.txt into zotero standalone profile directory it does not recognize the ssl exception.
The location I placed cert_override.txt into: (This is default directory zotero creates, and is different from documentation, i wounder if its a bug?)
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Zotero\Zotero\Profiles\<random>.default

The hierarchy of my ssl certificate is ( there are no intermediary certificates, just the one)
<myserver>.duckdns.org

and in the cert_override.txt file it uses same website information

<myserver>.duckdns.org:443

So I am at a loss as to what is wrong. Any help would be appreciated!

P.S zotero standalone version is 4.0.28
Report Ticket 1895155140

Report indicates it trying to connect to same server. Error report bellow

[JavaScript Error: "<myserver>.duckdns.org:443 uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because it is self-signed.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
"]
[JavaScript Error: "SSL certificate error connecting to <myserver>.duckdns.org

See the certificate override documentation for more information." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/preferences/preferences_sync.js" line: 235}]
  • I haven't tested this lately, but as far as I know it should still work.

I assume you've restarted Zotero?
  • edited August 4, 2015
    Thank you for the fast reply.
    I have tried restarting Zotero, uninstalling, deleting profile directory and reinstalling with no success. Same issue occurs on 2 different win 7 machines. Both have same Profile directories. Both can connect to me seafdav server from firefox but not from the standalone.

The cert_override file looks the same as the one in the link you provided, so I do not believe firefox changed its format.