"an error has occurred. Please restart Zotero" when attempting to import PDFs

Report ID: 1873115956

I'm using Zotero standalone and have been loading a bunch of new PDFs into my library without issue for the past week or so. However, this afternoon it started choking on me: I attempt to drag and drop one or more PDF files into the Zotero window, and nothing happens regardless of how long I wait or how many or few files I'm importing at a time. After waiting a while, if I attempt to click away to a different folder I get a message: "An error has occurred. Please restart Zotero." I've done so repeatedly (and even rebooted the computer) and the same pattern occurs over and over. Please help!
  • A bunch of problems there:

1) You're using an outdated Zotero version. You should be on 4.0.27.6, not 4.0.27.

2) You're getting NS_ERROR_STORAGE_IOERR, which generally is due to having your Zotero data directory on a network share or in a server-mirrored home directory that breaks normal filesystem guarantees that Zotero relies on. You should point Zotero to a directory on the local disk from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences and move your data directory files there.

3) It looks like at least some of your secure web requests are being intercepted by your proxy server, which could cause file sync errors and other problems. But we can troubleshoot that after resolving the other issues.