4.0.27.5 Problems with automatic pdf download

I have been using Zotero for 1.5 years now (and love it, thanks!). Starting today (possibly late last night) I have been having frequent, but not perfectly regular trouble with Zotero automatically getting the pdf. Here is an example that I absolutely cannot get to work despite restarting Firefox and logging into my university's library repeatedly. The pdf link is ont he page as per normal and I can download it manually with no problems. Zotero does not even try to download the pdf (as opposed to trying and failing). It makes no difference whether I choose to Save to Zotero using "Proquest" or "Embedded Data". Proquest sites have always worked flawlessly for me until now.

URL: http://search.proquest.com.proxy.cc.uic.edu/docview/221726898?pq-origsite=summon
Zotero Version: 4.0.27.5
Firefox Version: 39.0
  • After working for a few more hours tonight, it appears that this might just be an issue with ProQuest. I have added papers to my library about a half dozen times since my first post. ProQuest fails 100% of the time (3 tries). Other sites have succeeded 100% of the time. Another failure example.

URL: http://search.proquest.com.proxy.cc.uic.edu/docview/751869666?pq-origsite=summon&accountid=14552
  • Is there a link on that page directly to the PDF? All I see is a link to find a PDF through my university library. If there is no link to a PDF, then Zotero never imports the PDF.
  • same thing is happening to me -- after the new standalone update i can no longer get automatic pdfs from proquest (neither in standalone nor firefox; also tried chrome -- nothing is working). i can get pdfs from other translators (i.e. chronicling america).

i tried an article i saved through proquest pre-update (7/14) that saved the pdf perfectly, but today it is just saving the citation with a link to the article.

here is a link to the specific article i am talking about -- i'm off campus so it's ezproxy. i haven't changed locations though, this is how i always access proquest.
    http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.princeton.edu/docview/493352173/citation/4F679F7F222340C3PQ/1?accountid=13314.

love zotero -- thanks for your help!
  • Could you take a screenshot of the page, upload it to Dropbox or imgur and link to it here?
  • you bet:

http://imgur.com/a/yLxdo
  • meagan1019, thank you so much for the link to the image. We had a journal submission deadline yesterday, so I didn't get back to this until now.

aurimas, I am seeing exactly what meagan1019 sees. I have the link to the PDF file in the "Other formats:" box and can open up the PDF by clicking on it, exactly as meagan1019. I can manually download the PDF with no problems. I also am not on campus, but this is my normal working location. I am using my university's library and log in through there before I get to the ProQuest page. Since I am already validated, so it gives me the link to the PDF.

I am happy to grab a screenshot if you're not seeing what you need to in meagan1019's. Tell me what you need to see so that I can be sure to capture it.

Again, the ProQuest screen looks like it always has when Zotero has successfully retrieved the PDF when clicking the "Save to Zotero" icon (which I am sure I have done hundred's times from ProQuest). As of last night, Zotero functioned correctly when my library took me to a non-ProQuest site and as of a couple minutes ago, failed to get the PDF when my library took me to the ProQuest site. Again, Zotero does not even attempt to retrieve the PDF file whose working link is on the screen (see meagan1019's screenshot).

I am more than happy to post or send you whatever other information, settings, or log files might be helpful. Or, test whatever changes you need me to.

I also love Zotero. Thanks for your help.
  • Hi aurimas. I'm just checking in to see if you have any thoughts on Zotero's ProQuest behavior or if there is anything I can do to help track down the problem (like capture http traffic for you or something). Thanks again!
  • Should be fixed now (though ProQuest is being really slow for me). Update your translators via Preferences -> General -> Update Now, restart browser, and try again.
  • Hi aurimas. The fix appears to work, though simply restarting Firefox was not enough. I did have to restart my laptop. Not a big deal, but you may want to mention it if others have this issue. Thanks for taking care of this so quickly, I truly appreciate it. Have a great evening!
  • Restarting your computer or even Firefox should definitely not be necessary (restarting Chrome/Safari/Opera may be). In Firefox, you should only need to refresh the page. I'll take a look, but it's unlikely that I'll be able to replicate this. In any case, glad this is working for you now.
  • Hi -- This exact issue is happening again with ProQuest. Zotero will not download the PDF in either Firefox or Chrome (Standalone or Firefox extension).

Whatever fix was made in July worked, but now it seems to be happening again.

Thanks!
    Meagan