Problems after Firefox update

2»
  • oh, I didn't realize that. You could have saved yourself the trouble then, sorry.
    Yeah, just sync and you'll be fine. (Sync will only ever delete items that you have specifically moved to the trash in Zotero).
  • Problem: library vanishes after Firefox auto update, and is incomplete at Zotero.org:

I've just had an automatic Firefox update of some sort. When I opened my system this morning, a screen opened with a message like "looks like you haven't used standalone Zotero before - should we move your files ?". I had assumed that I DID use Zotero standalone (rather using Zotero from inside Firefox ?). I closed the message without taking action (i.e. without clicking "yes" or "no").

This afternoon, when I first opened Zotero as I usually do, by clicking the "Z" icon on my menu bar my library open with nothing (of its 10,000 items) in it and a "user's guide" suggesting it thinks this is my first visit.

WORSE: I accessed my library via Zotero.org and find a significant number of subcollections missing from what is stored there. How is that possible (I use Zotero daily) ?

QUESTION: what is my next step ? I checked the instructions provided via the link above re: Restoring Zotero (I haven't used "Refresh Firefox"), but am concerned to use them or to attempt to sync given that my library at Zotero.org appears to be incomplete
  • edited February 19, 2016
    @clio -- almost certainly this: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/restore_after_firefox_reset is the right way to go, i.e. using the local database, not the one on zotero.org

edit: and the "haven't used for a while" message is exactly what would precede a refresh, so either Firefox did that automatically or you clicked something that led it to believe you wanted to.
  • adamsmith thanks for your rapid response. I have followed the instructions you mention. A version of my Library does now appear when I open Zotero, but it is quite old - about half its present (yesterday's) size. As mentioned, I see that the number of Library items included when I looked at my Library online before doing this (i.e., via Zotero.org) is also not the full Library (as visible yesterday here at my laptop).

What am I doing wrong ?
  • I see also that the files in
    C:\Users\<user>\Desktop\Old Firefox Data\nkwxcl7u directory are all dated from 2014.

Is there another place I should be search to find my most recent Zotero data ?
  • did you use Standalone before?
  • I THINK I've always used Zotero within Firefox.(Maybe the below indicates otherwise ?)

I have (WHEW) found the current sqlite file and have my Library back.

QUESTIONS:

(1) I am concerned that this file was here:

C:\Users\Clement\AppData\Roaming\Zotero\Zotero\Profiles\e8deatv4.default\zotero

rather than where it was expected to be.

(2) I am concerned that - apparently - additions I make to my Library aren't reflected in the online version.

Is there something here I need to fix ?
  • 1) is actually fine. So what happened (I think) was this:
    You had Zotero set up to share data directory with Standalone. Then Firefox reset -- you didn't just lose the (no longer in use) Zotero database in Firefox, but also the information that you'd want to share the data directory with Standalone. Once you re-established that (and you should do that using https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/sharing_data_directory , not restoring) you're all set.

2) is a separate issue. Start a new thread, see https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/changes_not_syncing
  • Okay, here's what I've done:

(1) I had done (a partial) "restore" before receiving the message to use the "sharing" procedure instead. Specifically, I found the sqlite file in the second "profiles" directory and copied it into the Zotero for Firefox directory. This restored all my Library listings, to my great relief

(2) Today when I tried to use my Libraries I found they had lost connection to their attachments. I went back into the second "profiles" directory, found the "storage" directory and moved it (13 G, so too big to copy) into the Zotero for Firefox directory. I am now able to access my attachments and things APPEAR to be fine.

QUESTION:
    (1) I don't believe I ever downloaded Standalone and am currently unable to locate it on my system - how should I search to confirm (?) that it is / is not on my system ?

(2) IF I do NOT have Standalone, why do I have two "Zotero" directories ?

One is in
    C:\users\clement\appdata\roaming\mozilla\firefox\profiles\<string>\zotero
    The second is in
    C:\users\clement\appdata\roaming\zotero\zotero\profiles . . .

I ask because I'd like to be sure that I am not needlessly duplicating storage or setting myself up for future synch problems, etc.

Can I / should I delete the second directory ?
  • I don't think there's any other way than installing Zotero Standalone to get the 2nd type of profile. If it's not listed under all programs in Windows, though, it's likely not installed.

Theoretically yes, you can delete the 2nd directory, but I'd a) wait for a week or so to make sure you have everything you need and b) keep a copy on an external HD for a while just to be safe.
  • Okay; will do.
    Much obliged for your help - some scary moments there yesterday
  • And don't forget to troubleshoot syncing.