How to cite contract reports?

Hi Guys,

In the process of reviewing what reference types I actually use in my publications in preparation of updating a CSL Style File suitable for use in my company, I discovered an interesting fact I thought worthy of discussion. So, consider this more of a "philosophical observation" worthy of discussion rather than a "how do you do" question.

OK here are three common reference types found in Zotero.

Book
Cropper, S. (1993) "Management of endangered plants" (CSIRO Publishing; Collingwood; Australia)

Chapter
Cropper, S. (1993) Conservation Strategies In Cropper, S. "Management of endangered plants" (CSIRO Publishing; Collingwood; Australia)

Journal
Cropper, S. (2006) Heat stress in outdoor workers. EcoRamblings 1: 1-2. URL: http://www.botanicusaustralia.com.au/Documents/EcoRamblings_Issue_01.pdf

You will notice they can be broken down into CREATOR - CREATION DATE - TITLE and where the item is available from. The last section can include URL and DOI to a repository on the internet, or just a reference to a journal name or book.

Breaking it down even further a reference item includes WHO - WHEN - WHAT - WHERE. So far I have found that all the reference types I use fall into this structure - all that is, except one.

Consider...

Cropper, S. (2008) 'The flora and fauna of the Victorian basalt Plains' A technical report prepared by Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd for the Volcanic Basalt Plains Shire Council.

The last section (highlighted in yellow) does not include data on where the reference is available from - in most cases these types of documents are not even readily available to the public unless requested under freedom of information. In reality Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd is the publisher (employer of creator; copyright owner) but the fictitious 'Volcanic Basalt Plains Shire Council' is the client.

Thinking about this, I found there are not many cases where the institution requesting the preparation of a report is included in the citation.

Personally I insert the phrase "A technical report prepared by Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd for the Volcanic Basalt Plains Shire Council" in the publisher section, as copies of the report may be available from either institution but most certainly both would need to be approached for permission to obtain a copy.

Has anyone else come across this type of issue? How have you handled it? In the absence of a 'client' field is it sensible to shove this data in the publisher field? Considering the WHERE section of a reference is all about accessibility, in the absence of a readily available repository should this section be left out or the reference not be cited at all?
  • edited December 14, 2008
    Interesting analysis. On this:
    Has anyone else come across this type of issue? How have you handled it? In the absence of a 'client' field is it sensible to shove this data in the publisher field?
    Sort of depends. You could consider this as two distinct pieces of information: one about the genre or what in Zotero in this context is called "Report Type" ("technical report"), and the other about the source or context of its production ("prepared by ..."). In Zotero you just use "institution" I guess.

The latter probably does fit within your WHERE category. We include publisher information because it helps find the specific source. In the absence of formal publication, other information substitutes. This comes up in a lot of reports, and academic theses.
    Considering the WHERE section of a reference is all about accessibility, in the absence of a readily available repository should this section be left out or the reference not be cited at all?
    Probably keep it, since it's still valuable information that could feasibly enable finding the resource.