Reorganize PDF file folders and reattach files as links

Currently, my Zotero items have PDFs attached using the "Attach Link to File..." feature. The PDFs are in different folders under My Documents. As my library is growing I think it would be better to bring all PDFs in to one folder. My initial folder structure was meant to instil organization. But since the organization is now achieved through Zotero, I want all PDFs in one folder to simplify backup and usage across multiple computers. I am using relative paths in Zotero.

When I move the PDFs to one folder, I will NOT be changing the PDF file name.

Can I relink without having to go to each item in Zotero and doing it manually? May be ZotFile can do this, but I haven't used ZotFile for anything other than extracting annotations.
  • ZotFile could do this, but I think it will also insist on renaming the file. You can tell ZotFile to apply a certain naming convention to your attachments and place them in a specific folder. I don't think you can simply tell ZotFile to move the files to a specific folder and keep the arbitrary file name. After you set up ZotFile to do this, you will have to select the items for which you want attachments moved, right-click, and select Manage Attachments -> Rename Attachments.