[SOLVED] Zotero and LaTeX workflow

Hello forums

I’m currently writing a longer project in LaTeX. Apart from it’s literature entries in zotero, this project adds up to about 50 different files (.tex, .bib, images etc.) that require a certain folder structure to compile.
I would like to import this project into zotero to always have a backup and to be able to work on different machines.
Is there a way to do this?
One solution would be to import all files into zotero individually. Then, all files would have a different /storage/xxx folder. I’d then have to create symlinks for every file into my LaTeX project folder and this should work, but is very tedious / impractical.

Do you know of a better way to do this?

Help is very much appreciated!
wush1
  • Even if you can solve the linking issue, I really wouldn't do this with Zotero. Zotero sync doesn't give you any versioning. Using it for a LaTeX project would take away one of LaTeX's key advantages. Why not just use git/github or Dropbox?

(but also--no, I don't think you can make this happen with Zotero sync without a lot of symlinking along the lines of what you describe).
  • edited July 10, 2015
    I understand, thank you. I’ll give github a try then. I hoped to get around the more technical solutions.
    edit: I’m writing “more technical” because I technically have no idea how it works and it will require a lot of getting into :)
  • Then use Dropbox. It's not quite as neat as github from a technical perspective, but it'll still work nicely, it's trivially easy to use, and does have built-in versioning.
  • edited July 10, 2015
    Thanks adamsmith, I’m looking at bitbucket at the moment, due to their private repository option. I’ll get the hang of it sooner or later.

edit: marking thread solved
  • I believe paid github offers private repositories too.
    I know for sure that gitlab does.
  • And you can get a year (at least, don't remember exactly) of free Paid Github with a .edu email address.