"Export Citation" on page not loading in Zotero

For some reason when I use the "export citation" on any of the cell.com journals, firefox doesn't automatically feed it to Zotero and asks me whether i want to save the citation or open it in some program. Anybody know why this would be and how i might fix it?

http://www.cell.com/neuron/abstract/S0896-6273(08)00958-6#
  • This is not a page that automatically feeds to Zotero.

This is what I did and it worked:

1. click "export citation"

2. in the window that opens up, click either citation or citation + abstract

3. Click file format: RIS

4. when it asks you if you want to save or open the citation click save, and remember the name and location of where you saved the file.

5. Go to Zotero and click the cogwheel icon

6. click import

7. Browse to citationexport file and double click (or open).

8. Wait for it to show up in your library!

NOTE: The abstract shows up as a note, not in the abstract field.

Does that work for you?
  • cell.com is serving RIS files with the content type "text/ris", which isn't a valid content type. RIS files should be served as "application/x-research-info-systems", in which case Zotero would automatically import them if the pref to do so was enabled.

Regardless, our existing Cell Press translator should be able to be extended to support journals like Neuron without needing to use the Export Citation feature.
  • Thanks for the replies. The method arggem describes works, but is kind of unwieldy.

As for the existing cell press translator, though the regex recognizes it, their setup must have changed since you guys wrote the rest of the translator. A couple of problems I noticed:

1. In the detectWeb function, it will only detect pages with "content/article" in the url. I haven't seen such a url in my browsing of articles in Neuron. including "/abstract/", "/fulltext/", and "/retrieve/" seems to work.

2. Their page format no longer follows the format in the translator. There are no html objects with class "article_title", etc... they're all "article_meta" without any more info about which tag contains which piece of data. Not sure what can be done about that.

Fortunately the articles eventually go up on ScienceDirect so I guess I can just go there and then save. However, at this for the article I mentioned in the original post, it wasn't on ScienceDirect right away and I still wanted to save the citation.