Citations in Word Figure and Table captions & tables

I am newish to Zotero and have starting using it on a few new documents. Our publishing style guide utilizes numerical citations and includes citations in
figure & table captions & within tables (we can have very many of these in a document). We use Word 2010 & docx formats as our corporate standard and generally submit formatted copy-ready Word documents to our publishing group. I have Zotero standalone installed.
Reviewing past posts it appears that Zotero shouldn't be able to put citations into tables and into figure or table captions. I can confirm that I am not stopped from doing this Zotero standalone, for the most part they seem to work, but that table captions seem problematic (often get a "citation can't be found in Zotero database message" after another operation is attempted).

Can someone please succinctly explain the current status of this feature, whether it can be considered for fixing, and the best currently available work around? Word's internal citation feature can handle this task so I would think there should be a way for Zotero to do so.
  • Tables shouldn't be a problem, though multiple citations in the same table might be and I'm not sure where Zotero places references placed in tables in terms of their sequence/citation number. You may find them treated as if they were at the end of the document.

Zotero indeed should prevent you from inserting citations in captions, though. We can try to take a look at that.
    Workarounds really depend on your very specific needs. E.g. if you need to actually have to use the caption feature, I'm not aware of a workaround. I'm also not aware of any work being done on this, hard to say whether it's fixable (the fact that Word itself can do it doesn't tell us much).
  • edited July 11, 2015
    Granted whether Word can or cannot do something doesn't help a developer trying tor replicate a function. I'm just trying to make the case that the functionality would be useful (perhaps necessary) for my own organization.

As I indicated above the citations in captions at least for me (using Zotero standalone with Word 2010) seems to work in Figure captions (i.e. below figures) and within tables (they sort OK and end up in the right order in the bibliography), but not in table captions (above a table; Zotero can't seem to always find them). I wouldn't want to lose the 2/3 that do work by having the code changed to prevent their use. I would also vote to ask the developers to see if the one that doesn't seem to work can be fixed (would seem to require some knowledge of how Word affixes table positions relative to other text within a document. There seems to have been enough chatter over the years re this to have it put under consideration.