Drag and Drop feature won't work zotero to MacWord (and other applications)

Dear Zotero,

Today the drag and drop function of zotero has ceased to work when dragging and dropping into word (or any other application like Text Edit). It was working fine yesterday and I didn't add anything that I know of like an Add-On or upgrade Word.

The scenario is that instead of the little green + sign when I drag a citation from zotero I get a grey crossed-out circle when I move the citation over Word. Then nothing happens.

I have tried several different things after reading threads here. I restarted all programs and the computer, reinstalled the Word Zotero plugin (though it shouldn't matter here), I uninstalled an add-on I thought might have made a difference (it didn't), I've tested with other programs (no luck with zotero, but the drag and drop feature from a firefox webpage to mac Word works fine).

Most interestingly I can "generate a bibliography" of the one item from zotero, send it to the clipboard (scrapbook for MacWord), and then command V and it pastes the citation. I can use this as a work-around for now, but I saw others at various times had this same problem and was wondering if it was solvable at this point. Drag and drop has been a key feature of my workflow for years now.

Thanks so much for your help!