repeated reconciling of the same 411 conflicts

When I sync with zotero firefox, I am asked to resolve the same (411) conflicts repeatedly. They don't seem to be able to be resolved when I click "accept" on one of the three options, and then click "finish" at the end. Report ID: 2101991236
I'm using Firefox 38.0.5
I'm using Zotero 4.0.25.4
  • See here: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/repeated_conflicts

What matters is the error message you get when it fails after the conflict resolution. There are no Zotero errors in your report, so you'd have to tell us what it's actually telling you in the sync error alert (before you go to report errors).

You should also temporarily disable your other Firefox extensions — it probably won't make a difference, but the only errors in your report are from those, including some Zotero-related ones.
  • OK, I disabled all the other Firefox extensions, all of them except for Zotero (even the other Zotero related ones).

I clicked the green 'sync' arrow and it delivered me the 411 conflicts. I clicked through them all again. When I clicked the last one, it gave me the following two pop-up messages:

“One or more locally deleted Zotero collections have been modified remotely since the last sync. The most recent versions have been kept. View the Firefox Error Console for the full list of such changes.”

“One or more locally deleted Zotero tags have been modified remotely since the last sync. The local versions have been kept. View the Firefox Error Console for the full list of such changes."

I click "OK" on each one.

the green sync arrow then spins again. When I hover my mouse over it, it tells me "Sync with server - upload accepted - waiting for sync server". After that, I get the pop-up message "processing updated data from server". This delivers me the 411 conflicts once more and the whole process repeats itself.

When I go into the Firefox Browser Console, I get the following types of messages:

“JavaScript 1.6's for-each-in loops are deprecated; consider using ES6 for-of instead C:\Users\Clarence\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4lg1veyp.default-1366402728643\zotero\translators\RDF.js:162:5”

and: “JavaScript 1.6's for-each-in loops are deprecated; consider using ES6 for-of instead translate_firefox.js:491:383 09:27:58.616”

In Firefox, I don't get the sync alert (red circle with the exclamation point in the center)

When I tried to sync in my Zotero stand alone, I get the sync alert (red circle with exclamation point): when I click on it, it says "Conflicts have suspended automatic syncing - click the sync icon to resolve them". When I do, I get the same "Processing updated data from sync server" pop-up. It then brings me the same 411 conflicts. When I click through them all, I get the same cycle again - the same two pop-up windows, which I accept, the same message about upload successful and waiting for sync server, and then the same starting all over again.
  • First, if you haven't yet, temporarily disable auto-sync in the sync pane of the preferences, as suggested on the linked page. You should be getting a sync error that stops the sync at some point, and I'm not sure why you're not, but disabling that might help.

Next, install the 4.0 Beta, which adds an option to the conflict resolution dialog to accept all changes from one side or the other, which might be useful to you while debugging this (if you're OK with choosing all from one side).

Try syncing with that and see if you get the sync error icon after resolving the conflicts, and generate a Debug ID for the process. If you get to the conflict resolution window a second time (or if you just get an error), cancel and submit the output so we can look into what's going on.
  • Dan
    I had already disabled the auto-sync (in preferences). And I had already disabled all the other extensions in Firefox.

I installed 4.0Beta as you suggested (this is really helpful by the way, compared to clicking through 411 choices each time :)

I tried syncing again. It gave me the same 411 conflicts. I accepted the 'local' resolution for all of them, hit 'finish', and the same it did the same cycling again. There was no 'sync error' icon after resolving the conflict, it when right back to generating the list of conflicts again. So I 'canceled' it and generated a report:

Error Report ID: 1449723502
  • Dan,
    sorry, I conflated the Error Report with your request for Debug ID.

So, the Debug ID is D1482575058.

By the way, this time when I ran the sync, just before it started its second iteration of generating the 411 conflicts, the green sync icon stopped spinning, a red 'error icon' appeared for a split second and then disappeared again, and the sync icon resumed spinning, generating the list again.

thanks
  • OK, actually got some errors that time. Might not work yet, but try again now.
  • OK: after clicking the sync icon, it generated the 411 errors, which I clicked to resolve, hit finish. This time, however, it did generate an error alert icon; when I clicked on it, it said "Error processing uploaded data (Report ID: 1a3b2e26)" I clicked on the "Report Error" button, which then generated the Report ID: 1963030245

Hope this helps.
  • Paste BNR224VZ into the Zotero search bar in All Fields & Tags mode. You might have to check a few different libraries, or the trash. When an item shows up, make any change to a field. (You can edit it back immediately — just needs to update the modification date.) Then try syncing again.
  • I searched the entire data base, including all the libraries and subfolders, in the “all fields & tags” mode, with “BNR224VZ”. No item showed up. However, when I clicked on the “duplicate items” folder, it wouldn’t open, but gave me this instead:

“The Zotero database 'zotero' appears to have become corrupted. Please restart Firefox to attempt an automatic restore from the last backup.”

When I clicked “restart now” I got the following window:

“The Zotero database 'zotero.sqlite' appears to have become corrupted. Your data was restored from the last automatic backup made on 6/26/2015 at 4:17:21 PM. The damaged file was saved in your Zotero directory.”

But when I open Zotero again, I get the same set of dialog boxes:

“The Zotero database 'zotero' appears to have become corrupted. Please restart Firefox to attempt an automatic restore from the last backup.”

And, upon restart, got again

“The Zotero database 'zotero.sqlite' appears to have become corrupted. Your data was restored from the last automatic backup made on 6/26/2015 at 4:17:21 PM. The damaged file was saved in your Zotero directory.”

I tried syncing again, just to see, and it is the same cycle.
  • Check your database from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences.
  • I clicked "Check Database Integrity" and got a message "Data base has errors." I tried to correct it with the "Zotero Database Repair Tool". I first compressed/zipped the ".sqlite" file. It appeared in a new folder(zip). When I uploaded this .sqlite file into the "Upload Zotero database" [Choose file]", but I got a message "the uploaded file is too large". The website says a limit of 100MB, but the .sqlite file (compressed file at least) was only 55,175 KB.
  • Check the file size again, and maybe try a different browser. I just tried a 75MB ZIP file from Firefox and it went through fine.
  • OK, I've tried Chrome and I've tried Explorer, but both say that the file is too large:

What I'm doing is uploading the "zotero.sqlite" file in the compressed folder. The file says "Compressed size 55,175KB" with a (I assume compressed) "ratio of 59%" and the actual size is "132,572 KB"
  • There's no such thing as a compressed folder. Windows might display it that way, but a ZIP file is just a regular file like any other, and that's the thing you need to upload. When you try to upload the file within the ZIP, it's likely just extracting it and uploading the original 132MB file.
  • By "compressed folder" I mean the folder that got created (icon = folder with zipper) when I compressed the zotero.sqlite file, and into which the compressed file got deposited. In order to upload the compressed file, I accessed it in that folder.

This morning I tried moving the compressed zotero.sqlite file out of that folder. But upon moving it, the file reverted back to its original size. I tried uploading that, but I got the message 'file is too large.'

[FYI: I then deleted the "ZIP" folder with the file inside, and "rezipped" the zotero.sqlite file. Interestingly, it created a ZIP folder, but the zotero.sqlite file was merely a copy of the original (same size, same date and time created) rather than a zip file (smaller size, current date and time created). I then went to the original zotero.sqlite file and "rezipped" it again. This created another ZIP folder, designate "(2)", and it contains a ZIP version of the zotero.sqlite file, created today.]

If you are right that trying to upload the file within ZIP, it's likely extracting it again, how do I avoid this?
  • edited June 29, 2015
    You still talk of a "ZIP folder" -- you should think of that as a "Zipped File" -- the Windows icon for that is a folder with a zipper, but it's really just a single file -- and upload the whole thing (i.e. the "folder", not any file within it).
  • the problem with thinking of it as a 'zipped file" is that the Zotero Database Repair Tool (website) doesn't recognize it as a file. When I "Browse" for the file, what you are calling the "Zipped file" acts like a folder, in that the Zotero Database Repair Tool won't "open" in order to "Upload" it. Instead, I can only go "inside" that folder, and the "zotero.sqlite file" shows up in the interactive "open" pop-up window, allowing me to "Upload File".

To "Zip" the original file, I'm right-clicking on it, scroll to "Send To," choose the "Compressed (zipped) folder" and click it. Is there a different way of Zipping the file, that would make it into something uploadable in the Zotero Database Repair Tool?
  • definitely the right method for zipping it and the database repair tool lets me select upload the .zip file just fine on Windows 7. What OS are you on?
  • I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium
  • Can you try dragging the .zip file onto the browse button on that page? That might work. I have no idea why your windows isn't selecting the file correctly, but I'm pretty sure that's an OS issue, not an issue with the webpage.

To be quite clear -- the file you should be dragging is the one with zipper-on-a-folder icon.
  • Alright! progress - dragging the file (zipperonafolder) icon onto the Zotero Database Repair tool worked. It generated a new zotero.sqlite.zip file, which I extracted and used to replace the existing one in my zotero data base folder. Upload ID 559177c6160d5

I called up Zotero in Firefox and it loaded. I assume now I can try again to sync and then resolve the 411 conflicts?
  • Well, I think the problem is finally solved. After syncing, and accepting the conflict resolutions, the process didn't repeat itself. And checking my on-line account library, it now has an (almost) identical number of entries (two less for some reason).

Thanks so much for all of your help, and responding repeatedly in a timely fashion. Cheers