SSRN Could Not Save Item

SSRN translator seems to be broken. I tried disabling other addons and plugins, new profile, etc.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=935343

Under Report Errors... is:
[JavaScript Error: "Permission denied to call method HTMLDocument.evaluate" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translate.js" line: 546}]
  • (That's on XP with FF 3.0.4 and Zotero 1.0.7 by the way)
  • The SSRN translator does appear to be broken (at least on that page), but not due to your error. Here's the actual error:
    Error: doc.evaluate("//tbody/tr/td[2]/font/strong", doc, nsResolver, XPathResult.ANY_TYPE, null).iterateNext() is null
    "Permission denied" errors like yours are generally due to extension conflicts, and you'll see a similar error across various translators. See Incompatible Extensions to start, and try disabling your other extensions and plugins if you don't have any of the extensions listed there.
  • On another note, there's no workaround for this, apparently because Zotero is unable to intercept .ris or .enw files that the SSRN site provides when you choose to export the reference.
    Is it because these files are delivered through Javascript links? If so, could you improve Zotero so that it intercepts Endnote files delivered via Javascript links?

See also:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/400/pubsacsorg-problem/
  • Dan, I've tried disabling every addon and plugin I have and even creating a new FF profile and starting with a new Zotero install and new Zotero database, yet I still couldn't rid myself of the permission denied errors. What should I do after all that fails?
  • Update, sorry, it's ROBOFORM's fault - this app just doesn't behave well - it continues to appear and to interfere with Zotero even when the Roboform Firefox Addon is disabled and Firefox is restarted. The Roboform toolbar only went away when I exited Roboform from the windows taskbar, and so did the Zotero permission error then. I was so used to seeing the Roboform toolbar I never even noticed its continued presence before.

I'm very sad about this, because I love both Roboform and Zotero. Can you guys provide them with more information to help them fix the conflict?
  • OK, well thanks. I'm a paid up Roboform licensee so I'll bug them on this issue and hopefully they'll actually take notice.

What about the Endnote files intercept issue I also mentioned Dan? Could you create a ticket for this?
  • They're serving the files with a Content-Type header of application/x-unknown. With the pref enabled, Zotero will intercept RIS files sent as application/x-research-info-systems and ENW files sent as application/x-endnote-refer. I guess theoretically we could look for filenames ending in .ris in the Content-Disposition header, but Content-Type is really the way this should be handled, so they should fix their site.

RIS export works fine for me on the linked ACS Pubs page, though, so it's possible they've fixed their Content-Type headers since last year.