Dragging PDF should convey link, not copy

I've been tinkering around with devonthink for the past few days as a way of managing more complex research files. As much as I love zotero, I'm not sure I can rely on it completely as I move into big new research projects (part of the problem has to do with my dislike for tags--they're just not that helpful for me, as I never remember which tags I've already applied).

In any case, I've decided to put PDFs that I'm using for research into devonthink. But instead of putting a copy of zotero's pdfs into the devonthink database, I've decided to "index" zotero's copies (basically just a making a link to the file in zotero's storage file). The problem, however, has been that dragging a pdf directly out of zotero does not allow for this to happen. Copies are made by default. So I've taken to opening up the pdf in zotero, and dragging the acrobat icon on the menubar of the opened pdf over into devonthink. This allows me to make a link instead of a copy, but it's a bit clumsy.

Is there any reason that zotero can't be set up in such a way that dragging the pdf out of firefox makes a link to the actual file and not just an exported copy? Any way to toggle this on or off in about:config?

Thanks.