Failure for multiple citations to show up as comma separated superscripts in body (using MS Word)

This was initially started in another thread so I am pasting that info below:

----------------

sagearbor 1 hour ago edit
I am having trouble inserting multiple citations WITHOUT them being bundled into one citation number. This seems like user error since I have gotten multiple citations working elsewhere in the document but can not now. Sorry if I missed something but help would be appreciated (especially Adam Smith if reading this), details follow. I have screen shots but dont know if there is a way to post them here.

ISSUE) I add a few citations via the red box word plugin but only get one number in body as a reference.

1) Computer setup - Windows 7, standalone zotero current version (4.0.26.4), using Chicago Manual of Style 16th edition (note)

2) I do NOT hit enter between citations (I read that issue, which I had done initially). I tried clicke the citations via the red box, then hitting enter after they are all entered - didnt work - one number for citation. I also tried using tab which achieved same undesired single number citation.

3) I did make the mistake of pasting a citation in a image caption (actually a text box), but have since deleted. This was not the citation I was having trouble with but wanted to give that info in case it could cause problems.

4) Note1 - the arrow I have in the redbox dropdown is idfferent (I ssume updated) from the image in the zotero forum I found, it only has "Calssic view" nothing about "keeping sources orderd" - should be irrelevant but adding (I saw that info from following url https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage#quick_format_citation_dialog)

5) I have tried the "zotero refresh" in word, and changes the bib settings back and forth to other citation styles.

Example citation of Arbor and Atzmon citation being put together -->
Arbor and Marshall, “A Virtual Library of Constrained Cyclic Tetrapeptides That Mimics All Four Side-Chain Orientations for over Half the Reverse Turns in the Protein Data Bank”; Atzmon et al., “Lipoprotein Genotype and Conserved Pathway for Exceptional Longevity in Humans.”

Thanks in advance,
Sage

----------------

adamsmith 48 minutes ago
What you're seeing is correct for Chicago Manual. If you want a number for each citation, switch to a different citation style such as Nature.

----------------

sagearbor 7 minutes ago edit
I have tried that via Ctrl+Alt+P --> Nature --> OK. The number referenced in the body did not change to multiple numbers. The citations at the end of the document did change to fairly meaningless codes (clearly still has the data there but undecipherable except to me). For example the first sentence has 5 citations, in the body it has a 1, in the endnote it has 1 1-5. below is an excerpt from the start of the endnote.

1 1–5
2 6
3 7,8
4 9,10
5 11
6 12

To be clear I want the body for the first set of citations to have a superscript 1-5. Then in the endnote I would want the normal citation based on whatever I choose Nature, Chicago etc. Maybe I messed this up inserting a bibliography wrong. I inserted a normal word table of contents and am using header formats to populate that, I assume not an issue. Any ideas?

I then tried refreshing Ctrl+Alt+R. Nothing changed. Do I have to highlight the entire document or be in a reference or something to change styles (I thought not)? I tried highlighting the paragraph - no difference.
adamsmith 33 seconds ago
OK, this is getting too complicated. Start a new thread please so this one doesn't get sidetracked from the original issue.

----------------
  • This should also not be relevant but I am working with collaborators that are using zotero and a shared library I set up. They are new to zotero, there is a chance they inserted items they added to their library I do not have in mine.
  • If this helps I just saw a repeat citation (a single citation repeated later) that had a different superscript in the body. Is that due to me copying and pasting a paragraph to see this?
  • edited June 9, 2015
    It sounds like you are creating an endnote manually with Word, and then inserting a reference into the endnote with Zotero. If you do it that way, you will only get one number in the text body (the number of the endnote that you created with Word), and the range of numbers in the endnote itself (representing the citations that you inserted with Zotero), exactly as you describe. When you insert the bibliography, you will see all five references there, separately listed.

To get the effect you want, do not create the endnote manually with Word. Instead, click in the text body where you want to insert the set of references, and click the Zotero "Add citation" icon. Select your references and hit enter in the red box, and the range of numbers will show in the text body, where you want it.

Then to insert the bibliography, click on the spot where you want to insert it, and click on the Zotero "Insert Bibliography" icon.

The reason you are getting only one number in the text body is that you are manually creating a single endnote with Word. Zotero doesn't have any control over that: if you insert one Word endnote, one endnote is what you get.
  • Actually I think I know what's going on. I'll have a proper answer later.
  • So, I think that you're actually hitting a very specific problem/bug when converting styles that use endnote.
    So do the following:
    1. Convert back to Chicago Manual (Note) and Select Footnotes (not Endnotes). That second part is key.
    2. Now convert to Nature -- you'll see the citations correctly in the text.
    3. You'll now not see any citation content in the document -- just those numbers. That because what you want aren't actually endnotes, but a bibliography so
    4. Move the cursor to where you want the bibliography (most likely the end of the document) and click "Insert Bibliography" on the Zotero toolabar in Word.
  • Exactly. I actually just discovered this myself and was coming to post, I should have checked back, thanks for the help guys. Incidently what I found was exactly as Adam said the Chicago Manual (Endnotes) would screw things up. I could covert back and forth between Chicago Manual (Note) and Nature. If I cycled Nature-->ChicagoManual(Note)-->ChicagoManual(Endnote)-->Nature-->ChicagoManual(Note)-->ChicagoManual(Endnote) it was not until the second cycle that endnote screwed it up ... I think. I also often got an error message pop up, I would click "OK" try again and things seemed to work ... till they didnt. Here is a url I put a pic of the error message at. Thanks again.

https://goo.gl/xFNZMv
  • Incase that link breaks in the future (and for searching) the text of the error message is below

Zotero experienced an error updating your document,
    The requested member of the collection does not exist, code: "O" function: "zoteroWinWordDocumentConvert" location: "zoteroWinWordDocument, The requested member of the collection does not exist, code: "" function: "zoteroWinWordDocumentConvertlocation: "zoteroWinWordDocument.cpp" when calling method: zoteroWinword.IntegrationErrorHandlerthrowBrror]
  • but just to be clear -- you're all set now, correct?
  • Yes, Im good now. My new zotero rule for myself - do everything in nature format and then switch at end to format requested.