Why use file sync?

This may be a bit dumb... but I decided to try out file sync and I'm not sure I get the point of doing it in zotero.

The thing is that the sync without the files works really well. I haven't had any problems with it... the sync with the files seems far more problematic - odd slow downs and the like... Now, I don't blame this on Zotero - doing a sync like that isn't easy.

But here's the thing... there are a million free programs out there that sync files (Live Mesh, Foldershare, Dropbox, Unison, etc). Why not just use one of those? These are specialized to only sync files... that's all they do... they are reliable, easy, and don't screw up zotero or have the burden of running in firefox.

I'm not trying to be overly negative here - I of course love zotero... but I decided to comment here under the logic that if file sync stuff was holding up development or releases, then I'd say drop it... because there are a million easy alternatives for syncing files. There are not a million alternatives to zotero.

Mike
  • Some of the existing utilities/services are great, and we expect some people will use them. But doing file sync in Zotero has some advantages:

1) It's free and non-proprietary forever if you have the space.

2) It lets you use your own/institutional storage, including over a local network.

3) It's automatic.

4) It doesn't require a background application to be installed and running on your
    computer for automatic updates.

5) Due to #4, it allows for use from public/shared computers, including the possibility of on-demand loading of files by clicking on them in Zotero without installing a background application and syncing the entire library.

6) It may eventually allow for the ability to retrieve attachments from mobile devices directly (e.g., from the proof-of-concept iPhone/mobile interface at beta.zotero.org).

7) Conflicts can be handled within Zotero.

Some programs and services offer some of these, but none of them offer all. And there may be other advantages as well down the line.

That said, remaining file sync bugs are not top priorities for 1.5 Beta 1 (though as of SP3.5 file sync seems to be working pretty well in our own testing).
  • Hello,

Thanks for the response... Fair enough...

It sounds like there are a few future plans with zotero involving file sync that aren't fully in place yet. For now, I think that if a person does have an outside sync program, it might be sensible to use... but as some of these services go into place, I think I will probably switch back to zotero.

Mike