Zotero on a Mac

Hi Everyone!
I was trying to teach someone with a macbook air some zotero tasks. They had installed the standalone and the Firefox versions. We were working with zotero in firefox and the tab toggle button was not displaying. I have not worked with Zotero on a Mac very much and was unable to figure out why the button was not displaying.

Later, I tried to test the configuration on a Mac I have available to me at my work on when I tried to install the mac plugin into firefox i got an error that said the plugin was incompatible with the firefox version.

My question is: is there a recommended configuration for using zotero on a Mac? Thank you!
  • There are no recommended settings for Mac apart from having current software; Zotero works out of the box. If you received an "incompatible" message, you're running a Firefox version before 31, which isn't supported by mozilla anymore and shouldn't be used anyway. Update to the current regular version (38) or the current extended support release.

As for the tab toggler -- you mean the button that toggles Zotero between tab mode and the bottom of Firefox? We'd have to troubleshoot that while you have access to the computer. It's possible that's not available in AppTab mode, but I'm not sure.
  • Hi Adam!
    On the persons Mac that i was helping them with, yes it is the tab toggle button above the info/notes/tag/related column that is not displaying. I should have also indicated that the sync and the red x buttons are also not displaying. The locate button IS displaying however. I should have checked their version of firefox while i had access to their machine.
  • that may have just been a screen size issue -- this was a small MacBook Air? I'd try resizing the right-hand panel, see if that helps.
    It wouldn't be a Firefox compatibility issue--as you've seen, where that's a problem you actually get a message.
  • For Information
    I am happily using Zotero Standalone on my 13" MBP 2011
    I use the Chrome plugin (and sometimes Safari, since I've stopped using FF as my preferred browser) plus the MS Word add-in (MS Office for Mac 2011 installed)
    Regularly maintain updates and sync data to Zotero.org (with 2GB storage plan)
    All has worked seamlessly for 4 years (touch wood)
    Best tool ever!
    David
    PS I hope that is not tempting fate!