items not added to My Library in firefox using url bar icon - no error

I am using Zotero standalone 4.0.25.2 and Firefox extension 4.0.26.4 on a Windows 7 (Ultimate) PC with Firefox 38.0.1. I am a graduate student in the Humanities using Zotero as a bibliography manager and, to a lesser extent, pdf manager.

When I click the url icon to add a citation (from an appropriate webpage) it appears to add the citation. The small window pops up in the lower right corner, reporting that such-and-such is being added to "My Library" along with associated screenshots or pdfs or whatever.

When I go to My Library, no items have been added. They are not in "unfiled" either. This has apparently been going on for two months without my noticing because my last add was in March.

I am writing this message from my online account in Firefox, so there is no problem with connecting to the account. Furthermore a citation added manually syncs correctly between the standalone and online libraries.

Is it possible that these citations have been saved in another place, such as a default or temporary folder?

Thanks for any help.
  • edited June 2, 2015
    a) update Zotero Standalone. You should be on version 4.0.26.3

b) It sounds like you're not sharing the data directories between Firefox and Standalone. See here for details:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/sharing_data_directory

Here's what you want to do:

1) Close Zotero Standalone. Open Zotero for Firefox by clicking on the "Z" icon at the top right. Input your sync info there and sync the items you've saved over the last month to your online library. Sync will merge the two. It will _not_ delete/overwrite any items.

2) Follow the instructions on that page to point Standalone and Firefox to the same data directory.
  • edited June 2, 2015
    Thank you, adamsmith.

I updated to 4.0.26.4 (which took two manual prompts to update all the way, and this with the "update automatically" option checked!).

After closing that I then opened Firefox and clicked the "Z". As soon as it opened it started syncing to my account and I retrieved those "lost" references. I did not have to prompt it to sync.

I also did not have to enter my account information. I think it had the information all along, but for whatever reason had not synced since March. I often use Chrome, so I might not have used Firefox at all during that time. The "lost" references were stored in some sort of default account, until I clicked on the "Z".

I consider the issue fixed. Thanks again.
  • edited July 26, 2015
    I'm a new user and having the same problem with the first few items I have saved from Amazon. Nothing shows up in my library, even though a window popped up to tell me it was saved to Zotero.

I'm using Firefox on Mac OS10.
  • First, please report the Zotero, FireFox, and OS 10 versions you are using. I think you are using Zotero within FF, please correct me if you are using the Zotero stand-alone.

In an attempt to be simple and straightforward, Zotero can sometimes be the opposite if what you expect isn't what you get.

What did you do to initiate the imports from Amazon? What did you click-on?
    Where are you looking (left hand column) when you cannot find the imported records?
    Have you tried clicking on the my Library icon at the very top of the left hand column?

Someone here can easily help you with your problem, but you need to provide more information.