Firefox Completely Collapsed Lost Zotero

Could you please show me where the documentation is that I would have to use to get Zotero, the Addins, the extension, the syncing information, and my personal files retrieved so that I can reinstall Zotero and Zotero in Word. I have FireFox 38.0.1 and it crashed leaving me with no option in the message I received but to "refresh Firefox". Hence, I have lost a connection with Zotero and need to get my old files retrieved. Thanks!
  • Please see message above. I want to know if I reinstall Zotero in the Firefox browser and in Word if I can retrieve my old files, and if so, how?

Percetta
  • The general instructions are here:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#restoring_your_zotero_library_from_a_backup

Specifically, on reset, Firefox will put your old Firefox profile, including the zotero data folder, in a folder called "old Firefox profile," typically placed on your Desktop. You can treat that like a backup and use it to restore.
  • I have two file folders that are default folders. One is dated 7/31/2014 and the other is more recent as of yesterday when this happened. Do you explain in your instructions how to restore this one folder which I think has my old profile in it? And do I store the new profile in a different named folder?

Worse case scenario, have I lost all my research bibliographies?

Percetta
  • Not sure what you mean by "default folders"? Read through https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings to understand what the Firefox reset feature does.
    Have you found the old Firefox data folder?

As for having lost all of your data: worst case, sure, but that's highly unlikely. (Note that while we can probably get this sorted out for you, if you don't have good, automated, and regular back ups of your harddisk (which includes Zotero) now would be the time to set that up).
  • Do not worry adamsmith, I should know better. I had a backup to my harddrive on my desktop, and I cannot believe that I cannot find it. I was going to follow the information yo send me of how to backup Zotero and then restore it to the harddrive on the laptop. However, I cannot find that. So I have to purchase a flash drive to do backup.

To answer your question about the "default folders" I think they are the old and new profile folders for Firefox. One is dated 7/2014 which is when I think I first got Zotero and again 5/31/2015 when Firefox had its big crash.
  • OK, where is the older one of those folders (path on your harddisk; you can xxx out any personal info if you want)? Do you have a zotero folder in there? In that folder is there a zotero.sqlite? What size?
  • I found the Zotero file folder and in it zotero.sqlite. However, keep in mind that I have a new refesh firefox folder for today 6/1. The zotero folder with zotero.sqlite was found in the 5/31/2015 last nite.
    What should I do with this now? Copy or Import it somewbere?
  • edited June 1, 2015
    First thing you should re-install Zotero in your new profile if you haven't already. That will give you an empty library.

Then, you need to replace the Zotero data folder created by that new install with the one from the old Firefox profile.

I can try to help you to identify which is which, but you'd need to answer my questions about filepath and file size.

Edit: details of this are under the link. If you don't understand something, try to ask questions about specific steps, those are easiest to answer
  • The size of the file is 1.71MB and I show also 2 backups but do not know how unless Firefox did it.
  • Zotero takes automatic back ups. 1.7MB is very small for a database. So if you had more than a few dozen items, that's probably not your database.
    How about the in the other folder?
  • Sorry, folder size is 80.0 MB and the File path is: 7vtxvgcr.default-1408996321778. It appears to have the zotero.sqlite with translators and file styles.
  • No zotero folders in the other two files, one of which is the folder I just refreshed today. I am now going to follow your directions and install.
  • OK, and where is that on your computer? That's what I mean by filepath.
    E.g. on Windows, you'd right-click, select "Properties" and it'd be under "Location"
  • yeah, that sounds good. Work with copies of that folder just in case.
  • The file path is: C:\Users\Percetta2\Desktop\Old Firefox Data
    The size of file is: 84 MB
    Size on Disk is: 86 MB
    Inside of this file are backup copies of zotero sqlite. Do you want me to make a copy of this the Zotero folder before I install?
  • Great, that's definitely the right folder.
    So here's the sequence
    1. Re-install Zotero
    2. Open Zotero -- you'll see an empty library -- and find your current data folder: https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#locating_your_zotero_library (see "The easiest and most reliable way..." in the 2nd paragraph). Open it.
    3. Close Zotero
    4. Make a copy of the Zotero folder in the "Old Firefox Data" folder
    5. Use that copy to replace the Zotero data folder you found under 2.)
    6. Restart Zotero. You should be back in business.
  • It did not work. The copied Zotero folder is in the current file 6/1/2015. The current data folder after opening Zotero was not there. Plus I have to fill in new syncing information. What should I put in for that?
  • Plus I am not sure what is happening? I copied the folder from the older profile to the latest one. Then are you asking me to place that same folder in Zotero? Where? I am still fiddling.
  • edited June 1, 2015
    You have two Zotero folders right now. Their file paths will look something like this, though not exactly.

1. C:\Users\Percetta2\Desktop\Old Firefox Data\zotero

2. C:\Users\Percetta2\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\q0jc7e90.default\zotero

I'm now asking you to replace the 2nd one (your current data directory) with the 1st one (your backed up data directory).

You write that you placed the folder into the other folder. That wouldn't be replacing it. By replacing I mean move the folder from 2.) out of the way and copy the folder from 1.) into its place.

Is that clearer?

At no point should you do anything in Zotero. Once you have identified your current data directory, all of this is happening with Zotero closed.
  • I am here but let me check again to see how clear I am.
  • Here is what I have as 1: C:\Users\Percetta2\Desktop\Old Firefox Data\18z574uu.default-1433130043349\zotero

The above file has the original zotero file in it including the storage file in which I see some of my old document citations, I think. I put the original in there and left the copy of the original in the old file 5/31.

Now the second file that you show; let me see what if I have one and what is in there.
  • I do not have file #2 on either of my computers except on the desktop I do go have c:\User\Percetta\Appdata\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles (a hexadecimal number but no "zotero" fileame.

What kind of problem do I have?

I do not want to fill you up now, but I have a syncing problem also that we need to address after this.
  • So, I guess what I am saying is that it appears that I do not have an Appdata folder on my laptop.
  • Again, the instructions for finding your active Zotero data directory are here: https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#locating_your_zotero_library

That's the folder I'm referring to, even if the filepath is somewhat different from what I have under 2.) above (though that'd be the default).
  • OK, let's try this differently. I give you 6 steps above. Why don't you describe in as much detail as possible for every step what you've done and what you're seeing.

Describe it in a way that you feel would allow me to do the same thing on my computer.
    What I describe definitely works, so somewhere along the way you're misunderstanding something.
  • I am misunderstanding everything adam. I will take a look at your link again. Ok?
  • First, I reinstalled Aotero.
    Second, I opened Zotero and saw an empty library.

Let me get back to you adam. I want to check something.
  • Adam, I found the %APPDATA% Mozilla Firefox folder and the Zotero folder within it but the Zotero folder is empty.
  • Oh, to find that folder Firefox had to be closed.
  • No wonder nothing is working...