add "page-prefix" to in bibliography (American Psychological Association 6th edition)

I was trying to modify the Style „American Psychological Association 6th edition“ so that the page-numbers of an article in the bibliography will be shown as „P. XX-XX / S. XX-XX“ or „Page XX-XX / Seite XX-XX“ for English and German respectively. At the moment the style only gives me the numbers without the „page-prefix“.
I could't change that with the visual editor, that's why I'm asking for help here.
  • You'll want to use
    <label variable="page" text-case="capitalize-first"/>

(with form="short" if you want the abbreviated version). You can get that with the visual editor by clicking on the plus sign to add a node, move it in the right place on the left, and elect label --> variable = page with the respective settings for form and text-case.
  • Okay, thank's so far.
    I have changed

<if type="article-journal article-magazine" match="any">
    <group prefix=", " delimiter=", ">
    <group>
    <text variable="volume" font-style="italic"/>
    <text variable="issue" prefix="(" suffix=")"/>
    </group>
    <text variable="page"/>
    </group>
    </if>

to

<group>
    <text variable="issue" prefix="(" suffix=")"/>
    </group>
    <label variable="page"/>
    <text variable="page"/>
    </group>
    </if>

Which end up in the bibliography with a comma after the "pages":
    ... Seiten, 118–130.
    I would prefer to have it as: Seiten 118–130.

I changed delimiter=", " to delimiter=" " but that didn't seen to have any effect.
  • double check that. Changing the delimiter to delimiter=" " should definitely remove the comma there (though it'll also remove the comma between volume/issue and page range.
  • Okay, you are right. I tried it again and it is working - the must have been some kind of mistake by my side.

Avoiding the problem that also volume/issue wouldn't be separated by a comma any more I tried to understand and change the code a bit:

<group prefix=", " delimiter=" ">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text variable="issue" prefix="(" suffix=") "/>
    </group>
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <label variable="page"/>
    <text variable="page"/>
    </group>
    </group>
    </if>

It seems to work for me so far, however I'm not sure if it contains any flaws that would cause problems later on.
  • there's no technical problem with this, but let's quickly recap:
    APA:
    2(3), 123-456

Your first version
    2(3) Seite, 123-456

Your 2nd version
    2, (3) Seite 123-456

What I assume you want:
    2(3), Seite 123-456

Which would be (e.g.)
    <group>
    <text variable="issue" prefix="(" suffix=") "/>
    </group>
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <label variable="page"/>
    <text variable="page"/>
    </group>
    </group>
    </if>
  • Yes, thank you, that is indeed what I was trying to achieve.

By the way I have two more questions:

1. How to I post code in the forum like you've than that here.

2. Is there a way with some kind of editor where I can change the code and simultaneously see how the bibliography and in-text citation changes. The code editor at http://editor.citationstyles.org/codeEditor/ does that, but only for two references. It would be more useful if I could define several of my different references (articles, books, compilations, laws, etc.). It's quite exhausting to also import the changed style in Zotero and see how the code changes end up in the bibliography.
  • 1. use HTML mode and use <code> </code> for code and <blockquote> </blockquote> for quotes (most other standard HTML also works)

2. Yes: I use https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/reference_test_pane pretty much exclusively.
    (It is possible to add other items to the visual editor, too, so if you're attached to the visual interface I can tell you how, but it's a little cluncky since it was only ever intended as an advanced option).