Enable author plus sign while typing in author name

Suppose I have a list of authors and I'm trying to go through and paste each one into Zotero. After pasting one, I would like to click directly on the plus sign to add another author - but I can't, because it's grayed out.

Instead, I have to click in some other field so that Zotero saves the fact that I've entered an author, then return and click the plus sign on the last author in the list (all the others are greyed out). Can that plus sign be enabled so I can click on that to simultaneously save that one author and show a field to enter the next?
  • a) Zutilo allows you to paste newline separated author lists -- you may find that useful
    b) shift+return does what you want.
  • I think a) works in regular Zotero (also without Zutilo), try for example to copy
    Crick Francis
    Watson James
    paste it completely in an author field and press enter.
  • Though, I agree that the plus sign should enable once something is filled into the author field.
  • zuphilip is right - what Zutilo adds is the ability to copy authors in that format between items.
  • Thanks for the tips, but enabling the plus sign would still be the best solution.

The list I was copying from was a page in a report PDF that says something like "The main contributors to this report were Author 1, Author 2, Author 3, Author 4, Author 5, and Author 6" so copy-pasting each one individually seemed faster than copying that into Word or something like that and doing a find/replace with commas to line breaks (a character that's not the easiest to get into Word's replace field) plus installing a separate add-on.

Shift+return is a new solution, but if I have one hand on the mouse to be moving back and forth between the report and Zotero and the other on CTRL+C/V, shift+enter is significantly slower than mouse control to get a new author box.