Consistent behavior of the delete key

I understand that, in the library view, pressing Delete prompts to move the item to the trash, while in a collection view it simply removes the item from that collection. So the behavior of the key depends on the view you're in.

I find this non-uniform behavior rather confusing. For people used to the file/folder paradigm, delete should delete -- it means you don't want to see that item anymore. The default behavior in collection view prioritizes the action of unfiling an item rather than deleting it -- but how often does someone remove an item from the only collection that contains it while still wishing to keep it as an unfiled item? I find this very rare. Personally I try to categorize every item in *some* collection, so there are no unfiled items. Assuming my categorization is correct (normally it should be), then I see no motivation to ever uncategorize an item; if I press Delete it means I want to move it to the trash, regardless of which view I am in. For instance, maybe I download a paper hoping it would be useful, later I read it but find it is not what I was looking for, then I delete it. That's what I would do with downloaded files, but with Zotero I have to remember to press shift+del and keep checking which view I am in.

I would find it much simpler if the behavior is consistent across views. Namely, I suggest the following:

- Pressing Delete should ALWAYS prompt to move to the trash and Shift-Delete should skip the prompt and move to the trash.

- If in collection view AND the item is contained in multiple collections, the prompt should warn the user and ask if the user wants to (1) remove from the collection, (2) move to trash or (3) cancel, with the default button being (1).

For the rare case where a user wants to remove the item from the single collection that contains it (making it unfiled), there's always the option to right-click and choose "Remove item from collection".

Another suggestion is to add toolbar buttons to help add and remove from collections (as well as delete).
  • Alternatively, in collection view the behavior could be to always prompt with the three options, but making the default option to move to trash:

(1) Move to trash (default)
    (2) Remove from collection
    (3) Cancel

Actually now I find this the best solution.
  • For people used to the file/folder paradigm
    Collections in Zotero aren't folders. You might happen to use them that way, with items only ever existing in one collection at a time, but that's not how they're designed.

Zotero works the same way that most library-based programs work. If you press Delete on a photo in an album in iPhoto/Photos or on a music file in a playlist in iTunes, they're removed from the album/playlist, not from the library.

Note that in the next version of Zotero, you'll get a confirmation prompt when removing from a collection, which will serve as a reminder that it's removing from the collection, not moving to the trash.

It's not impossible that we could add a "Move to Trash" button to that prompt, as you suggest (though not as the default), but I'm not sure I like the double action.
  • A "Move to Trash" button would be great, and especially useful for those who come to Zotero from the folder paradigm.
    Thanks.
  • edited May 13, 2015
    I share the sentiment about the inconsistent Delete behavior. My suggestion, though, is to simply make Delete not do anything in library view and make Shift+Delete the Move to Trash behavior in all views.