Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute

2»
  • Hi, I'm having trouble with the JRAI citation style in the bibliography. For journal articles it is displaying the volume number, but the issue is missing even when that field is filled in my zotero record. Has anyone else had this problem and if so do you know how to fix it? Thank you!
  • It says it here: "Journal volume numbers only (in bold); include issue numbers only where each issue starts from p.1" (p6). Many journal issues do start from 1, but I can't work out a way to include the issue numbers.
  • Hi juliamodern. When I wrote this style 13 years ago, the JRAI didn't include issue numbers, just volume number and pages. I've just had a quick check of Volume 27 Issue 4 (Dec 2021) and, as far as I can see, sometimes the issue number is now included and sometimes it isn't. This seems to vary both between and within articles. To be honest, I don't think the editors of the journal are that strict on style and in this respect probably accept whatever is provided by author.

I notice that, in the citation provided at the bottom of each page of the journal, there isn't an issue number. To me, that suggests that on some level the official house style still excludes issue number.
    Eg. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute (N.S.) 27, 890-908

Just to be clear, in case of any discrepancies, the Zotero style I wrote reflects the printed version and pdfs, not the web version of the journal.
  • Hi again juliamodern, Your response to damnation came in while I was writing my comment above, and I was unaware of the new policy on issue numbers.

I haven't kept up with the development of Zotero or CSL, but I suspect a style would be unable to cope with different rules on issue numbers depending on how pages are numbered. It doesn't make sense to be adding and deleting this information in your Zotero library to get the desired outcome in the JRAI style. This is probably the type of situation where you would have to generate your bibliography and then make some minor edits.

I'm happy to be corrected on this by some more experienced CSL developers, but I wouldn't have the know-how to implement it. Sorry.
  • edited December 15, 2021
    I'd say, submit your paper. If they say something, come back here and let us know. I'll have it fixed in minutes.
    Thank you, James, for looking up the details.