Full Text search with tags

Hi,

I put this in general because I don't know if it's a problem, a feature request, or something that Zotero already does in a different way.

I love using tags instead of folders, and I also love full-text searching and I would like to use both simutaneously, and I thought I could, but it's not working the way I thought it would.

I would like to do a full-text search in the attachments of my records, but limit the results to just those attachments whose parent records have a particular tag. I thought the way to do this would be to select the tag, and then start typing in the search field. It turns out that the tag is specifically associated with the parent record, not the attachment, so I get nothing.

There doesn't seem to be a way to tag attachments themselves. Is there another way to do this, other than using folders or saved searches?
  • You can achieve this by creating a saved search for the tag with "Include parent and child items of matching items" checked and then using the full-text search within that saved search, but you're right that it's not possible to use the tag selector and the quick search this way when the tags are assigned to the parents. (You can assign tags to child attachments and notes, however—see the bottom of the right-hand pane.)

I'm not really sure what the best solution here is, though one option is to offer the equivalent of "Include parent and child items of matching items" for the tag selector and quick search...
  • Hi,

Actually, that helps alot. I didn't see that attachments can have their own tags. Now I can assign all the tags from the parent to attachments by dragging and dropping. It's a bit of a pain, but it's possible.

What would be useful would be either a preference setting for attachments to inherit all the tags of their parents or a script to bulk update all the attachments with the tags of the parents.