How to add a line break after element?

Is there a way to add a line break as suffix to a element? The style I am working on should look like this:

Lastname, Firstname
2008        Title, etc.

I can't seem to get that to work though...I'd also like to have hanging indent starting on the third line, not on the second. Anyone have an idea?
  • edited November 27, 2008
    You are running into the problem reported here: CSL: how to omit subsequent-author in bibliography.

Infortunately, there seems to be no solution presently (see the discussion there). It is a limitation in CSL and in Zotero's implementation of it. Add you voice to that topic to let the relevant devs know that more people are in need of this feature.

The first part is easy, by the way: just set an option display="block" for the author. But then the problem becomes the indentation of what follows, for which the current indentation options (basically, hanging-indent or not) are not sufficient.
  • Ah, well, that explains why I cannot create the American Anthropologist Association style. It kind of amazes me how little style options there are. How hard would it be to ass for XML/CSS capability to the CSL?
  • It's a tricky issue, because CSL is intended to be agnostic about the output format. So using CSS to specify indenting and such could be a problem.
  • edited May 3, 2012
    Hi, you can use & # 1 0 ; (remove blanks between & ;) to represent a line break.

Example code (remove blanks between & ;):

<group prefix="{" suffix="}" delimiter=", & # 1 0 ;">
    <text macro="citeKey"/>
    </group>

Here it insert a line break after every "," - they act as delimiter to separate group items.
  • I don't know how you came across this thread, but now that it's been re-surrected: The best way to do this (which was introduced after 2009 - the last date someone posted here) is to use the display option:
    http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#display
    We now have an AAA style that's pretty close to correct on the repository.
  • I think it is not convenient to use the display option. Especially when you want to insert a new line break after lots of elements.

If I want to insert a link break after each item of a group, I have to write the display option lots of times. It is just not elegant.

I just find it really easy and elegant to use & # 1 0 ; (remove blanks between & ;) to represent a line break in the delimiter or suffix attribute of group to finish the above mentioned task.

I have test it myself: & # 1 0 ; (remove blanks between & ;) works fine with the latest version of Zotero to represent a line break in the csl file.