Error message: There was an error starting zotero

2»
  • Try installing Zotero into a new Firefox profile and see if it starts up there. If that works, we can help you transfer your Firefox and Zotero data to the new profile.

I'd also recommend scanning your system for malware, if you're not already. (Not sure if that McAfee scanner in your screenshot is up to date.) It's possible that could be causing this, though not sure exactly how.
  • Can you try creating a fresh Firefox profile and then installing Zotero again? You can delete the test profile later, or keep it if it fixes the issue.
  • I just created a new firefox profile but it still gives me the same error
  • This is now what is in my browser cosole:

ReferenceError: dw_locktimer is not defined js.php:1:771748
    TypeError: $tree.dw_tree is not a function js.php:1:360173
    TypeError: History.getState is not a function _zoterowwwAll.bugly.1411506646.js:4478:20
    Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated. Use defaultPrevented instead. js.php:1:0
  • Is that immediately after starting up? There's no Zotero error in there, so what error exactly are you getting? Is this from the Ctrl+Shift+J browser console?

Sorry, running out of ideas here. Since Zotero Standalone is working, what Zotero Standalone version do you have?
  • i have version 4.0.26.4. When i click on my zotero in my browser, it gives me "There was an error starting zotero"
  • You didn't say if you've done this:
    I'd also recommend scanning your system for malware, if you're not already. (Not sure if that McAfee scanner in your screenshot is up to date.) It's possible that could be causing this, though not sure exactly how.
  • just did...i use Windows Defender though
  • If you haven't, you can try uninstalling Firefox completely and then reinstalling it. I'm not sure there's any reason that would be any different from a regular reinstall, but it's one more thing to try.
  • Another report of this, and they say that uninstall Firefox and deleting all Mozilla directories in AppData fixed it.