note too long - can't get rid of error message

Hi
I use MLZ, but this should have no bearing on the problem below, as syncing is entirely managed by Zotero.
I can't sync because appearently I had a too long title given to a journal article item. Here's the message of the exclamation mark:
"The note 'Riconoscimento di provvedimento stranieri in mater…' in your library is too long to sync to zotero.org.
Shorten the note, or delete it and empty the Zotero trash, and then try syncing again."
I shrunk the title, to no avail. I then decided to delete it locally and empty the trash. Same error, still. Then I cancelled online the item, so there would be no item to sync from server to local. And I also emptied the online trash.
I can't figure out why the sync is being blocked for the past 12 days. Nowhere the item is left, yet still the sync icon signals a problem.
Any idea? Many thanks in advance.
  • a debug ID for a failed sync would help:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
  • Sorry, I failed to add that I can't report the error because I get this message when trying to do it: "Invalid response from repository".
    Same message if report is sent from the window triggered by the red exclamation mark or via the Advanced preference pane.
    I also reduced the dubug submit size to 500000. Same problem.
    Report says: 5511 lines logged.

Here's the output anyway:
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?page=view&resid=DB5F791CD9D15554!131009&authkey=!AJL1Y7oq-6efViU
  • If you paste
    9N23RCHN
    into the quick search field with "My Library" selected, use "All Fields and Tags" as the search mode -- do you get any results?

If not, are you positive the note isn't (also) in a group you belong to?

Is there anything odd about your Zotero set-up? There are a couple of errors in that debug that shouldn't be there and usually occur when the Zotero data folder is on a network drive or in dropbox (though maybe they're MLZ related in this case). They're unlikely to be the sync issue here, but may be related to your inability to submit debugs
  • Hi there.

Solved. It had nothing to do with long titles of an item, I was mislead by similar text between the title of a note and a title.
    The problem is that notes of an item that embed screenshots won't sync. I had to remove the embedded picture and save it as a separate file. This solved the problem.

@ adamsmith: I have my Zotero profile and storage on OneDrive with the same absolute path on both computers on which I work. So far I had no troubles due to this setting (at least as far as I can perceive...)

Thanks for the prompt help!
  • I have my Zotero profile and storage on OneDrive with the same absolute path on both computers on which I work.
    that's strongly discouraged and very likely will cause problems -- you're already getting errors logged because translators are getting corrupted, I'd say it's only a matter of time until you corrupt your database this way.

If you want to sync your files using OneDrive there are save ways to do this (e.g. symlinking or using linked files via ZotFile and relative paths).
    What you're doing also essentially means that people here will refuse to troubleshoot issues you're experiencing since the cause is very likely to be your setup.
  • Thanks for pointing this out. I'lle keep an eye open. I actually use ZotFile, but rely on the Zotero Storage directory for snapshots etc.
    I will (try to) have a look at error reports to figure out the pending issues. I've just checked a report for ordinary work and syncing and so far couldn't spot anythink troubling, but I wouldn't rely on my reading skills!!
    If I have questions, I'll open an ad hoc thread.