Restore attachment path to default after modifying it with Zotfile/Zutilo

jH23
Hey guys,

here's just another case of a stupid user. Any help is highly appreciated. The problem is this:

I wanted to move entries including attachments from my group libraries to my library. Because space was very limited I first tried to locate my attachments in my OneDrive folder with the help of Zotfile. Nothing happened. So I tried the same with Zutilo. Nothing happened.

After a few restarts of Zotero Standalone and Windows it eventually worked. At that point however I had already decided that it's probably more convenient to just invest a little bit of money and upgrade my Zotero storage.

Now I would like to restore the file associations back to the original zotero storage for sync. But whenever I move entries from the groups to my library the attachements end up in my OneDrive folder.

I changed the folder settings in Zotfile but it didnt solve the problem. I couldn't really find how to restore the file associations with zutilo. I guess if I tell Zutilo to use my zotero/storage folder they still won't be synched because of the folder names, right? Restarts and reinstalls of Zotero, Zotfile and Zutilo (I'm using the browser based Zotero again) didn't change the situation.

The problem should be relatively easy to solve. The libraries as they are now are fine. It's just about restoring the original settings for future entry/attachment movements. Any keys in the about:config I can change to make it happen?

I know the main reason is obviously my stupidity. Sorry about that! Thanks!

"adamsmith 59 minutes ago"

ZotFile set to "Store Copy of Files" under "Location of Files" in the general tab of the preferences should do the trick.

Jh23 37 minutes ago edit
Tried that but it doesn't work. I'd guess that Zutilo overwrote/writes those settings. Uninstalling Zutilo made no change by the way. Any way I can change that manually in the about:config?

adamsmith 3 minutes ago
jh23 -- Start a new thread, this is getting too involved.

jh23 3 minutes ago edit
maybe this is important. When I first moved entries from one group to my library I set zutilo replace all instances of partial path string.

now when i copy an entry from this specific group library to my library it only shows a link that points to the onedrive location while the original attachment is in the zotero storage.

when i move files from other groups it just does what it should, place the attachment in my zotero/sotrage folder.

so i guess that's what i have to undo just no idea how
  • Not sure I really want to call it a solution. But by copying the group entries to a (temporary) collection in another group I could from there copy them into my library without having my attachment in the modified OneDrive folder but in my Zotero storage folder ready to sync. If you delete the files from the temporary collection before the next sync it's as if nothing had ever happened.

Everything else didn't make a difference (changing the Zotfile settings to store the attachment with the entry, uninstalling zutilo and zotfile, restoring absolute paths under zotero and emptying the firefox cache)
  • anyway thanks for your help, adamsmith. you're doing a brilliant job on this forum!
  • I don't quite understand what happened -- Zutilo isn't supposed to move any file or change any link without you telling it to -- but glad it's working now.
  • Zutilo worked fine. I told it to move the files to my OneDrive folder when I first moved them from the group to my library in order to save the storage space. But because then I had changed my mind and added Zotero storage instead, I wanted to undo the links so that they end up in the default Zotero/storage folder again when I move them. In short, I was looking for an undo function for the modified attachment links.
  • Hi,

I have a similar problem, but I guess I am stuck at an earlier stage already.

I tried ZotFile and renamed all pdfs such that they are now located in another folder I wanted to share via cloud. The pdfs are linked within Zotero.

After I decided to use a symbolic link instead, I would like to move all these pdfs back into the default .../Zotero/storage location and do not use links within Zotero anymore.

Although there should be an easy solution for this, I could not figure it out yet. Can you help me out?

Thank you!
  • You can just use ZotFile to revert the linking -- set ZotFile up with "Attach Stored Copy of File(s)" and then use Manage Attachments --> Rename Attachments in batch.
  • Great, thank you! It's indeed very easy.