shorten subsequent citations

Is there a way to use a shorter name for subsequent citations of a source already cited in OSCOLA?

Eg, I have cited a piece of legislation with a very long title. I need to cite it again and want to use its common name ("REACH") partly because this is what everyone calls it but also, otherwise it totally eats into my word limit!

Is this what the "short title" field is for? If so, how do I make sure this title is used for subsequent citations?

Thanks
  • OSCOLA should use the short title field for subsequent citations of legislation automatically. Are you not getting that?
  • Thanks Adam. I've just tried to cite it again and it cited the full title. I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong - I'm definitely citing the same thing ie I don't have a duplicate of that piece of legislation without the short title that I'm citing accidentally.

Actually, I've wondered what the short title field is for because I've noticed that it hasn't been used when subsequently citing other types of sources like documents or reports. Maybe a general problem with OSCOLA?
  • PS. I've just tried to use the short title field with other sources and it has worked. However, I also just tried to use the short title in a subsequent citation of another piece of legislation and it hasn't worked so perhaps the problem is just with legislation... Can you fix?
  • OK, now short title works for legislation.
    The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by clicking "Update Now" in the General tab of the Zotero preferences.

Styles also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+
    In an existing document, you may have to switch to a different style and back for the changes to take effect once the style is updated.
  • That's great - thanks Adam.