Attachments not opening from file

When opening a Zotero item with attachment (even when clicking on the attachment in Zotero library directly) the item is downloaded again from Zotero server into Firefox downloads folder. When I right-click on the attachments in Zotero library and select 'show file', the files are stored on the computer, so I don't know why they're not opening from there.

I enabled debug logging and tried opening a couple: the Debug ID is D744073362.

I have tried clearing sync history and re-syncing, also tried restore from Zotero server. Same problem occurs - the files exist on my computer but Zotero won't open them.

Any advice gratefully recieved!
  • Some background info: After having problems getting all attachments to show on two computers (my own fault in the end - my Zotero storage was full and somehow I hadn't realised, so files were saving on the computer but not the server) I managed to sync them by restoring to Zotero server from main computer and restoring from zotero server on the laptop. The laptop works fine, opens Zotero files as normal, the desktop is having issues.

Other missing info from my first post: Using Zotero for Firefox (4.0.26.2), on a Mac (Firefox 36.0.4).
  • My guess would be that the files aren't actually downloading from the server (I don't think there's a way Zotero could even do that)--they're opened from the local copy and just handled like downloads.
    I'd start with this:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/file_handling_issues#unexpected_behavior_wrong_action_gibberish_pdf_etc_when_opening_files_from_zotero
    (obviously only the top part, the big linux section doesn't apply).

If you're positive Zotero is actually downloading files from the server, please describe how you've made sure that's the case.
  • edited April 4, 2015
    Sorry, yes, you're right. Rightclicking on a "downloaded" file under 'downloads' in Firefox, clicking "copy download link" and pasting it to read it showed it was "downloading" from the file location on my computer.

I deleted mimeTypes.rdf as advised in the page you linked to and restarted Firefox. Next time I opened a file in the Zotero pane the usual Firefox download dialogue window opened. Selected 'open with adobe reader' and 'always do this for this kind of file'. Now working as normal.

THANKYOU VERY MUCH! :-)