New LibreOffice plug-in issue

I received a LibreOffice update earlier today. The new version is 4.4.2.2.

edit: Zotero for FF 4.0.26.2 FF version 36.0.4 Mac OS 10.10.2

I attempted to reinstall the Zotero LO plug-in and received the following error:

Installation could not be completed because an error occurred. Please ensure that LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org/NeoOffice is closed, and then restart Firefox.

However, LO was not open. I restarted my Mac and tried again. LO is closed.

I tried to do a manual install. I clicked on the file and then received the following error:

(com.sun.star.lang.DisposedException) { { { Message = "Binary URP bridge disposed during call", Context = (com.sun.star.uno.XInterface) @115616920 } } }

I uninstalled LO, uninstalled the Zotero Plugin, restarted the computer, reinstalled LO, reinstalled the Z-LO plug-in. The same series of errors occurred. I wasn't given the legacy Java alert.

I am still trying to find way to get Zotero and LO to work without resorting to installing the "legacy Java SE 6 runtime".

Clearly, either most Zotero/LO users are not having problems with up-to-date software or they have installed Java SE 6. Am I missing something? Earlier posts point the fault at LO or at Apple. While that is likely the case, it doesn't suggest a way to resolve this problem. Could someone please help?

I had success with Rintze's suggestion in:
https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/45286/libreoffice-plugin-requires-legavy-java-on-mac/

when I tried it with an older version of LO and a brand-new machine. Now, that resolution isn't working.

Can anyone suggest the right entity to resolve this? The Document Foundation folks say that the new versions of LO _will_ work with 64 bit Java runtime. AppleCare said that they will no longer support any version of Java. Am I out of luck? I do not want to go back to using MS Word.