Problems updating Zotero

Hello,

I'm receiving the common error message: "This version of Zotero is older than the version last used with your database. Please upgrade to the latest version from zotero.org". When I click on the update dialog box, it says Zotero is already up-to-date. I do have the latest version, but I downloaded the latest version for Firefox again anyway, and re-started Firefox twice, but I'm still getting the same message. I've checked the troubleshooting steps, but this doesn't help me. Can anyone offer any advice here? Thanks, Michael S.
  • What version do you have?

If it's not 4.0.26.2, you don't have the latest version.

If you do, you were most likely running MLZ, so you'd have to reinstall MLZ, which isn't compatible with the official Zotero database.
  • Thank you for the quick reply. I have that version (4.0.26.2) and the latest version of Firefox installed as well. I looked up what MLZ is, and I don't think I ever installed that. If I have, I'm not sure where to find it anyway in order to delete it. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks again,

Michael S.
  • There isn't really any way to get that error unless either 1) you're using a very old version of Zotero or 2) you previously were running an unofficial build.

But let's see. I've added some additional info to the error message in the latest 4.0 Beta. Install that, and if you still get the error, paste the full content of the message.
  • Thanks for your reply. If I understand correctly, you wanted me to download Zotero 4.0 Beta. I did this and re-booted my laptop. I now get the following error message:

This version of Zotero is older than the version last used with your database. Please upgrade to the latest version from zotero.org.

Current version: 4.0.27-beta.r3+e1c1803

See https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/newer_db_version for more information.

Again, any help you could provide for resolving this problem would be most appreciated. Thank you again, Michael S.
  • edited March 30, 2015
    Odd. Can you follow these steps and let us know the error in the console?

https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems#reporting_startup_errors

You can skip Step 2, about deleting the extensions.* files.

(Edit: Disregard Aurimas's previous message. We don't need debug output for this.)
  • Thanks Dan. I did that and this is the error message I found:

"DEPRECATED: The widget module is deprecated. Please consider using the sdk/ui module instead.
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js", line 870, in Handler.prototype.process
    nextValue = this.onResolve.call(undefined, nextValue);
    File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/addon/runner.js", line 86, in startup/</<
    run(options);
    File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/addon/runner.js", line 145, in run
    let program = main(options.loader, options.main);
    File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js", line 684, in main
    return loader.load(loader, module).exports;
    File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/loader/cuddlefish.js", line 129, in CuddlefishLoader/options<.load
    result = load(loader, module);
    File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js", line 318, in load
    evaluate(sandbox, module.uri);
    File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js", line 267, in evaluate
    : loadSubScript(uri, sandbox, encoding);
    File "resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/lib/main.js", line 14, in null
    var widgets = require("sdk/widget");
    File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js", line 591, in require
    freeze(load(loader, module));
    File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/loader/cuddlefish.js", line 129, in CuddlefishLoader/options<.load
    result = load(loader, module);
    File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js", line 318, in load
    evaluate(sandbox, module.uri);
    File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js", line 267, in evaluate
    : loadSubScript(uri, sandbox, encoding);
    File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/widget.js", line 59, in null
    require("./util/deprecate").deprecateUsage(
    File "resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/util/deprecate.js", line 18, in deprecateUsage
    let stack = get().slice(2);" deprecate.js:21
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it's recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] owa
    no element found ev.owa:1:1
    The Components object is deprecated. It will soon be removed. uglobal.js:1:0
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it's recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] redir.aspx
    The site specified an invalid Strict-Transport-Security header.[Learn More] 47922
    TypeError: History.getState is not a function _zoterowwwAll.bugly.1411506646.js:4478:20
    ReferenceError: dw_locktimer is not defined js.php:1:771748
    TypeError: $tree.dw_tree is not a function js.php:1:360173
    TypeError: History.getState is not a function _zoterowwwAll.bugly.1411506646.js:4478:20
  • There's no relevant error in there, possibly because it's been pushed out by all the others, which aren't related to Zotero. Disable your other Firefox extensions and try again. The message we're looking for will say "Zotero user data DB version is newer than SQL file" with some numbers after it.
  • And if you can't get it that way, you can generate real-time debug output and check that for the relevant line.
  • Thanks. I disabled all the Firefox extensions, except for Zotero's. I re-booted my laptop but got the same error message. I tried the real-time debug output, but still receive the following error message below. Anything else you can suggest?

no element found keepalive.owa:1:1
  • That's not debug output.
  • If it wasn't clear, the debug output isn't supposed to be a fix — it's additional debugging information, separate from the Browser Console, that will include the line I mention above.
  • Thanks,

Yes, I understand that the debug output is supposed to be diagnostic rather than a fix. I did exactly what the debug process told me to do (i.e. using the windows + R, then copying in the correct executable line + the added words on the end that are required. I click OK, and I receive the output below. I don't think it's what you're looking for, but I've tried the debug process several times and that's the only output I get. Even more confusing is that I seem to have a copy of Zotero stand alone on my laptop, while for a year or so, I've been using Zotero for Firefox. I don't remember downloading the stand alone to my laptop. Could that be causing the problem? Anyway, if you could give me a little bit more step-by-step help with the debug process and/or the potential conflict between the FF version and the stand alone, then I would be most grateful. Thank you, Michael S.

Output:

TypeError: s is null citations:1:2728
  • Ah, sorry, try it again with -ZoteroDebug, with the capital letters. We changed it since the last release, for consistency with other Zotero command-line flags.
  • edited March 31, 2015
    I did the same procedure, but this time with a capital Z and D, and got this below. It is getting stranger and stranger...

no element found ev.owa:1:1
  • Can you upload your database to the DB Repair Tool and post the Upload ID here? For the moment, you can ignore the download links the tool provides (unless it actually tells you that it found corruption).
  • Sorry about the long silence. I had to drop the trouble-shooting for a while (almost 2 months now). I've returned to the issue, and uploaded the DB Repair Tool and copied it into the appropriate Zotero location. However, this did not fix the problem. I'm still getting the same error message that I began with (please follow my initial post and the string from March). Please recall that I can login to Zotero and see my libraries and download documents but I cannot upload anything to Zotero, and I cannot enter Zotero by clicking on the 'Z' in the ribbon in Firefox. Thank you in advance if you can continue to provide some support, Michael
  • re-read Dan's post right above yours.
    He was asking for the Upload ID from the DB Repair Tool and telling you to ignore the download from the tool. He'd still want that upload ID.
  • Hey,

i appear to have the same problem. I just uploaded my db (RefId: 559417ca3b0f3). I am using standardt zoterao and afaik i never used any custom build.

Can you find any problems with the database or should i post the zoterodebug output, too?

Thanks for your help!
  • prichter 88: Sorry, missed this before the file was automatically deleted. Could you upload again and provide another Upload ID?
  • Hi all - I've been having the same problem as the above users. Just upgraded both the Firefox plugin and the Word plugin and having trouble with both. In addition to the error message above, the Word plugin is not working. I uploaded my DB to the tool mentioned.

Upload ID: 559c214b72013

Would love to hear any ideas!
  • edited July 7, 2015
    LizSelf: Same answer I gave the original poster. You were previously running MLZ, which isn't compatible with the official Zotero database. So you'll need to reinstall MLZ or get data back into Zotero via sync. We can't help you with that, but you can start a new thread prefixed with "[MLZ]" and fbennett, the developer of MLZ, may be able to help you see below for a link to instructions.
  • edited July 7, 2015
    Instructions for switching back to Zotero here: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/50443/#Item_4
  • I have the same pb
    ID 1040397896
    What's up ?
  • @lpillant: If you previously installed MLZ, the instructions for returning to official Zotero are under the link posted by Dan immediately above. For convenience, here is the link again:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/50443/#Item_4

If you have problems, post back: I will be watching this thread.
  • Hi,
    I have a problem with zotero,
    I updated mozilla and since Zotero disapear.
    Has I already had this trouble before I did what I always did,
    reinstall Zotero and trying to import my database or to show to Zotero the link to my database in the computer.
    But this time there is no way to open zotero.
    I have the icon on mozilla but when I clic on it there is this message
    "Cette version de Zotero est plus ancienne que la version utilisée la dernière fois avec votre base de données. Veuillez mettre à niveau avec la version la plus récente sur zotero.org.
    Version actuelle : 4.0.28.10
    Consultez https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/newer_db_version pour plus d'information."
    But 1srt : I have the last version of Zotero so which version will be better
    2nd : how can I used a newer version of zotero that the lastest ?
    I have my thesis bibliography on it !!!!
    Thanks to help,

Lpillant
  • did you read
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/newer_db_version ? In particular the part about using MLZ/juris-m?