Security questions

Hi,

I work as a librarian for a health organisation and we currently use EndNote as a database to store and organise our documents and research. The problem with this is that I have the master library and I need to copy it onto USB regularly to distribute to other sites. With online syncing it looks as though Zotero would solve that problem and everyone would be able to access the shared database from their various locations.

However. I'd like to know about security as obviously we're handling some sensitive information. How secure is Zotero compared with EndNote? Do you know of any other organisations (particularly Health) using Zotero as a database rather than bibliographic software? Is this something that Zotero would be suited for, or is EndNote a better option at this point?
  • (I don't work for Zotero, so the below, while I believe well informed, is not an official statement).

Zotero by itself stores data locally, so that's as safe as your computer setup. I'm assuming you refer to using Zotero for sync, though.
    I know a lot of medical researchers do use Zotero and a lot of medical and nursing schools promote it, so it's certainly suited for that.
    (here's e.g. Kansas U Med: http://guides.library.kumc.edu/content.php?pid=417245&sid=3410390
    and Northwestern Med: https://galter.northwestern.edu/guides-and-tutorials/zotero there are many others)
    but for individual labs and organizations, it really depends on the level of security you need:
    Zotero does exclusively use secure connections (SSL) for any login and data transmission (actually, for anything on the Zotero webpage). No one will be able to read any data that you send to or receive from the Zotero servers.

However, the data is not encrypted on the Zotero servers, so in the (highly unlikely) even that they got hacked, it could be accessible to hackers. To give you a sense, that's similar to the level of security that gmail or other high-quality e-mail services provide.* If you wouldn't be able to send stuff over a gmail account, you probably shouldn't sync it with Zotero. If e-mail is fine, so is Zotero.

If you're outside of the US, it may matter that data is stored on US servers and as such subject to the patriot act. I know both Canadian and European data privacy folks often see this as an obstacle. If you're in the US yourself, that's not relevant since you fall under the same rules.

* Though Zotero has much stricter privacy guarantees, since its business model isn't built on selling your data.
  • Thanks Adam, that's incredibly helpful!
  • If e-mail is fine, so is Zotero.
    And Zotero is actually safer than much email, since many email providers still don't encrypt mail exchanged between servers, whereas all Zotero traffic is encrypted. We've also made sure it's encrypted well, with an A+ grade at the time of this posting.

But, yes, to use syncing you would have to be comfortable with your data being stored on external servers.
  • edited March 26, 2015
    If you are in the USA and are concerned with HIPA act issues the hospital library or research center's use of Zotero for bibliographic materials will not be a concern. Sensitive patient records should be on computers with encryption that are not connected to the Internet. These secure machines will need special treatment within your facility's network firewall. Any other machine that has a web browser installed should have no restriction to prohibit Zotero. The current risk of the Zotero client syncing to Zotero storage is essentially nil. Using a web browser to surf the World Wide Web is exponentially more of a security threat -- even if the surfer is careful about the sites s/he visits.

I know several hospital libraries that encourage the use of Zotero.
  • Just by accident, I find that anyone can download a private personal file without the login credentials. For example, please try the following link, it is a sample file I uploaded into Zotero server under my account:

https://files.zotero.net/11350724611/pdf.pdf

I have double checked my privacy setting, and I am sure I have not check the "Publish entire library".

So in this case, by brute force attack and try different ID and file name, all the files on the Zotero server is open to the public......

I hope this is not true ...
  • edited April 2, 2016
    That is not correct. Those links only work when logged in to an account with access to the file.

(Please don't post the same message multiple times in different places. It is very confusing.)
  • what about passwords etc ..can zotero access my private data on websites
  • @ittyerah: If you're referring to the permissions prompt when you install the Zotero Connector, see Permissions Warnings in our privacy policy.