Can't import PDF files from Moodle into Standalone

Hello All!

I am working on a paper for a class and most of the course readings are PDF files on Moodle. I am trying to import these files in Standalone but when I attempt to do that, a dialogue box pops up saying that the files aren't in the selected format. Is there a way to import Moodle files into Standalone? Please let me know and if there isn't, please let me know how to import them.

Thank you!
  • I also have the same problem with PDF files on Blackboard..is there any way around this? I'm using Firefox right now and this issue also happens with Google Chrome.
  • How are you trying to import the files? The easiest would be to download and then drag to Zotero.
  • How do you do that? At first I was looking for the icon in the address bar and then I was downloading the PDF in Adobe Acrobat, saving it to my computer and seeing if I could import it into Zotero from there and neither worked in either browser
  • actually drag&drop files to Zotero from wherever you save them on your computer.
    You can also use "Store Copy of File" under the green plus sign. Same effect.
  • The "Import" function in Zotero is for article metadata files, not the PDFs themselves.
  • Store copy of file worked! Thank you!
  • There is a not so obvious trick I use (on the Mac, could work on windows as well) :
    Make sure the center list of zotero standalone and the addressbar of the browser are visible in seperate windows.

Now drag the favicon from the address bar diectly into the Zotero list. Make sure you see an insert placeholder in form of a thin grey line at the beginning of the list in Zotero.

Then create a containerish entry around the pdf using the right- cluck context menu.

Benefit of this workflow over first downloading the file: the source URL is properly recorded.

Hope this helps

-- Armin