Accessing PDF attachment from multiple computers (zotfile)

I am trying to figure out a way to access the PDF attachment that I've stored in my dropbox using zotfile for multiple computers' zotero standalone.

This is what I've done so far and the issues I am facing. I am hoping for some guidance in this matter.

1. I have rename all my PDF attachments in my work computer to be stored in my dropbox.

2. My library is set to sync across all my zotero standalone. When I click on the attachment file from my home computer, the location of the file is unknown although I've set the zotfile preferences (for my home zotero standalone) to the dropbox folder that I've stored all the attachment using zotfile.

3. I tried the back up library way and copy paste the back up library to my home computer, the location of the file is unknown too. Again, I've set the zotfile preferences (for my home zotero standalone) to the dropbox folder that I've stored all the attachment using zotfile.

How do I link the attachment files (that I've stored in the dropbox) to be accessible through the work computer and home computer so that all the annotation done is updated and accessible on both computers.

My goal is to access the same PDF files across multi-computers' zotero standalone because I tend to annotate when I read from both computers. I've previously store the attachment PDF in the library however, the syncing server limits the file storage and back up from one computer to another is a long process as the library list extended. That's the reason why I use zotfile to store the PDF copies to a cloud storage (dropbox).

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
  • just to be clear: there is no limit imposed by the Zotero storage server on file sync--just as for Dropbox, there is a limit on how much you can sync for free. I doubt that Dropbox sync is actually much faster than Zotero's.

But for ZotFile/Dropbox sync: Make sure that dropbox is actually syncing all your files. You must see the files in dropbox. If they're not there, either your dropbox sync isn't working or you have ZotFile set up incorrectly.

If the files are in Dropbox, set the "Relative File Link" base directory in the Advanced tab of the Zotero preferences to the dropbox directory on each computer. I.e. on computer 1 you could have something like
    /User/vikiedesktop/dropbox on one and
    /User/vikielaptop/dropbox on the other (these are examples. The filepath may look very different on your computers. You should use the "browse" option to select the dropbox folder).