Control + Delete & Shift + Delete

If I understand correctly, shift+delete puts up a warning and then on "ok" moves an item to the trash, and control+delete deletes an item without a warning and deletes it permanently. Is that right?

If so, is there a keyboard shortcut or setting that would let me move an item to the trash without the warning?
  • Control-Delete isn't anything — that's just the same as pressing Delete. (I think we used to use Control-Delete on Windows/Linux for the modifier, but it's been Shift-Delete for a while (or Cmd-Delete on a Mac).)

Beyond that, it depends which view you're in. The modifier key basically increases the action one level in severity.

In the library root, where Delete prompts to move to the trash, Shift-Delete skips the prompt and moves to the trash.

In a collection, where Delete normally removes from the collection (silently, but a prompt is being added in the next version), Shift-Delete prompts to move to the trash instead. (For child items in a collection, regular Delete doesn't do anything, because child items can't be removed from collections.)

So to answer your question, in the library root it already does what you're asking for. In a collection, it's not possible to skip the prompt (which makes sense, because there are two possible actions, and the clarity is important), so you have to press Return after.
  • control+delete deletes an item without a warning and deletes it permanently
    And nothing does this, by the way.