Configuring Zotero connector for Chrome

I'm running Zotero Connector v4.0.26 on Chrome v41.0.2272.89 (64-bit).

When I use it to store an article from NASA/ADS (with my standalone Zotero open) it stores the metadata and the PDF, which is ok.

But when I use it to store an article from arXiv, it decides to also store a snapshot and 'Comments' along with the PDF (I believe storing the PDF was added recently since not long ago Zotero wouldn't download PDFs from arXiv).

I don't need that snapshot or the 'Comments' file, but I can't find an option in the Zotero Connector extension to tell it to stop downloading that.

Am I missing something here or is that decision (ie: don't create a snapshot from NASA/ADS but create one from arXiv) hard-coded into the extension?
  • it's hardcoded into the arxiv translator. Nothing you can do about that, sorry.
  • Thanks for the clarification Adam. I'll post over at the Github translators page to see what people think about removing this entirely from the arXiv translator since a PDF will always be available at arXiv.
  • no, keep that discussion here. github issues not a great place for discussion of feature changes, we keep those mainly for confirmed bugs or technical discussion.
  • Got it. Here's what I was just about to post over there:

The current arXiv translator (https://github.com/zotero/translators/blob/master/arXiv.org.js) always stores a snapshot of the article. There is currently no way to disable this from the Chrome Connector extension at least.

Since there will always be a PDF available at an arXiv article, what is the necessity of also saving a snapshot? Could this be removed entirely, at least until the connector extension is updated with the ability to choose to download a snapshot or not?
  • Just to be clear, if you're using Chrome connector with Zotero Standalone, the snapshot setting can be controlled in Standalone. You just can't control it if saving directly to zotero.org
  • @aurimas, where is that option in standalone? I looked for it but couldn't find it.

What I did find was the option to disable saving a snapshot from the connector, but only when saving to zotero.org.
  • In Standalone Preferences -> General -> "Automatically take Snapshots..."
    What I did find was the option to disable saving a snapshot from the connector, but only when saving to zotero.org.
    Oh, right. I keep forgetting that setting exists, since it only appears when saving to server is activated.
  • You are right aurimas, I had not seen that option, thank you!

It still downloads the 'Comments', but I guess I can live with that.

Cheers.
  • I'm not opposed to omitting the Snapshot from arXiv translator btw
  • comments were specifically requested, though, so I'd like to keep those in.