Biotropica Journal Citation Style incorrect

Hi,

I am using the Zotero citation style for Biotropica and discovered that formatting is incorrect.

Here's how Zotero formats the bibliography:
PATEK, S.N., J.E. BAIO, B.L. FISHER, AND A.V. SUAREZ, 2006. Multifunctionality and mechanical origins: ballistic jaw propulsion in trap-jaw ants. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 103: p.12787–12792.

Here's how the journal requires it:
VIZCAINO, S. F., AND N. MILNE. 2002. Structure and function in armadillo
limbs (Mammalia: Xenarthra: Dasypodidae). J. Zool. (Lond) 25: 117–

There are several mistakes:
1) There should be a space between first and middle name initial
2) There should be a period instead of a comma after the authors (before the year)
3) There should not be a "p." before the page numbers

In-text citations are also incorrect:

Here's how Zotero formats them:
(Spagna et al. 2008)
- the journal requires "et al." in italics

Here's a link to the journal http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1744-7429

Please, let me know how to manually make these formatting changes or if they can be corrected on Zotero's part.

Sincerely,
Magdalena
  • The style is now fixed. The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by clicking "Update Now" in the General tab of the Zotero preferences.

Styles also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+
    In an existing document, you may have to switch to a different style and back for the changes to take effect once the style is updated.
    Any further problems please let us know & thanks for reporting
  • Thank you for the quick response! I updated the style and can see that several aspects are correctly updated but unfortunately some are still incorrect:

1) There should be a period instead of a comma after the authors (before the year) - with a single author this will result in two periods which should be ok as I have seen this in published papers in this journal

Specific to book citations:

Currently Zotero formats them this way:
    SCHMIDT-NIELSEN, K., 1984. Scaling: Why is Animal Size So Important?, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

They should be this way:
    BREIMAN, L., J. H. FRIEDMAN, R. A. OLSHEN, AND C. J. STONE. 1984.
    Classification and regression trees. Wadsworth, Inc., Monterey,
    California.

2) Book title should not be in italics
    3) There should be a comma instead of a period after the book title
    4) Place should be after publishing company, separated by a comma

Thank you,
    Magdalena
  • where are you getting these from? Is this just looking at the journal or are there actual instructions that I'm just not finding?
  • I'm getting them from literature sections in previously published papers by the journal, the instructions for authors on the website are found in the downloadable "author checklist" but they are not very thorough when it comes to formatting the literature section.
    I have found that journals often rely on authors to just check previously published papers to get the correct style.
  • Hi,

I noticed that the citation style for Biotropica is still not correct:

1) There should be a period instead of a comma after the authors (before the year) - with a single author this will result in two periods which should be ok as I have seen this in published papers in this journal

Specific to book citations:

Currently Zotero formats them this way:
    SCHMIDT-NIELSEN, K., 1984. Scaling: Why is Animal Size So Important?, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

They should be this way:
    BREIMAN, L., J. H. FRIEDMAN, R. A. OLSHEN, AND C. J. STONE. 1984.
    Classification and regression trees. Wadsworth, Inc., Monterey,
    California.

2) Book title should not be in italics
    3) There should be a comma instead of a period after the book title
    4) Place should be after publishing company, separated by a comma

Thank you,
    Magdalena
  • OK, should have all of this fixed now.

The style will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by clicking "Update Now" in the General tab of the Zotero preferences.

Styles also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+
    In an existing document, you may have to switch to a different style and back for the changes to take effect once the style is updated.
    Any further problems please let us know & thanks for reporting