No Site Translators Working: Report ID 1413614659

I have been having trouble with site translators since the second to last Firefox update. At that time, to no avail, I followed all the troubleshooting advice on the Zotero site and forums but continued getting the message "Could not save item" all on sites that I had no problem with before such as the peer-reviewed article sites like JSTOR. Everything listed as "HighWire" if I remember correctly didn't work. Google Books at that time did still work. Not wanting to waste additional time trying to figure it out, I happily discovered that I could add books and all journal article entries through the Harvard Hollis+ site so was just using that for everything.

However, with the last Firefox update, that has all changed. The Zotero address bar icons don't appear on the Harvard Hollis+ site at all. The icon appears everywhere else it ought to but all I get is the "could not save item" message. I have been using Zotero every day for close to a decade so I do know how it is meant to function. Since I have run out of options I am reaching out for assistance.

I have tried the following:

Disabled avast, even removing it completely - had no effect (that is my only antivirus software)

Opened Firefox in safe mode - I have so few extensions I figured this would have no effect and it didn't, and I have added no new extensions for a couple of years

Uninstalled and reinstalled the Firefox Zotero extension - no effect

I have tried resetting the site translators in Preferences - no effect

I have tried updating the site translators in Preferences - no effect

I have not changed my Firefox privacy settings - they still allow cookies as they have all along

I am hoping something can be done to sort this out.
Many thanks!
  • let's start with version numbers: what version of Zotero and what version of Zotero are you using?
    If your Zotero version isn't 4.0.26.1 you need to update.
    See https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/updates_not_detected in that case.
  • My zotero version is 4.0.23.1! So I will update now.
  • Thank you so much!!!! I tried that an now everything is back to normal. I had no idea that my Zotero version wasn't automatically updating. I am thrilled to have this functioning properly again!!! Thank you!!!