Problem importing Chinese refs in bibtex format

I've exported a number of Chinese citations from Refworks into a bibtex file. When I open the file in a text editor, the Chinese characters display properly:
@article{坎坷前行——20世纪后半叶中,
title = {坎坷前行——20世纪后半叶中国历史学的演进},
year = {2004},
}

When I import the file into zotero, however, the encoding is changed and the citations are unreadable:
坎坷前行——20世纪后半叶中国历史学的演进

Zotero normally has no trouble at all with Chinese citations, and I believe in the past I have imported Chinese references exported from another application (Referencer) without any problems. I believe I must have used the bibtex format with the previous successful imports, though I might be mistaken because I can't repeat that success now.

I am currently using zotero in firefox 3.03 on a 64 bit ubuntu 8.10 system with Chinese localization. Please let me know what other information I can provide. I would be happy to help with whatever testing would be useful.

Thanks
  • Updated character set support in some of the core translators is coming in 1.0.8. Assuming you're running 1.0.7, you might want to install the latest 1.0 dev build, click Reset Translators and Styles in the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs (as the latest BibTeX translator isn't pushed automatically to 1.0 clients), and try again.

You can switch back to 1.0.8 when it is released.
  • I am having a problem similar to @saulthomas in that the Chinese citations from WorldCat are not importing correctly (same type of characters as he shows above). Yet with other Chinese sites importing isn't a problem.

I am currently using zotero 2.0b6.5 on firefox 3.5.2 (OS X).