Why does my citation tool find references my search function can't?

I am trying to build a new library of selected references so I can export it to endnote for my PI, who lives in a cave and doesn't use zotero. I have to go through all our shared libraries to come up with a list of very specific citations. I am having a hard time with the search function in the web based app and in standalone.

When I use my Word plug-in and add a citation, the searching function is fast and effective. I can type author or words from the title and boom! there's a list of likely choices that span all my libraries. I don't seem to find the same usefulness when I am trying to build a new library within zotero. I am searching for individual resources and using the same search words I do in my citation searches in the plug in, but nothing comes up. I've even typed author names in that Word plugin finds easily and had no luck using the search function!
I have tried searching particular libraries, searching my whole library, checking the box that searches folders within libraries, experimenting with search terms and conditionals all/any, and copious swearing.
Any ideas?
  • I'm not entirely sure I understand the question, but it is correct that Zotero doesn't currently have a search across libraries. Is that the problem?
    Otherwise the basic quick search does exactly the same as the one in the Word add-on.
  • I seem to get different results using quick search in the stand alone and web version and in the word add-on. I am using identical search terms, so I am very confused.
    Maybe I am using terms wrong? There are folders nested within "My Library." I thought any items in any of the nested folders would appear in searches done on "my library" just like if I search "My Documents" I would find documents in folders in "my documents." That seems to be what the citation plug-in does. No matter where a citation is located, it just finds it. I don't seem to have the same luck with quick search. I could try to screen video what I'm doing if that helps.
    Thanks!
  • edited March 12, 2015
    Can you provide an example of a search term you're using in the client from the "My Library" view, an item you expect it to find, and the search mode you're using (e.g., "Title, Creator, Year")?

Also, the other collections (not quite the same as folders) aren't really relevant. The point is that My Library shows all items, and the quick search simply filters what's in view. So you should be seeing the items in the My Library view already before you search.