Collections dragging

Hi!
Is there any impediment (or, is it possible) to drag collections and sub-collections among collections of groups libraries?
Thank you.
  • That should just work as long as you have write access to the group. Also, make sure you're doing this in Zotero client, not on zotero.org.
  • edited March 9, 2015
    Sorry, but there seems to be a problem.
    Collections can not be copied within the same group.
    However, I need to create the same set of sub-collections in various collections of the same group. In fact, I need to create the same set of sub-collections in several collections of various groups.
    As a solution, I created another group on which I created that set of subcollections and then started to drag them to the various collections of the targed group.
    Problem: after the first time you drag a collection of a group to a collection of the target group, the collection that was dragged can not again be dragged to any other collection of the target group, or even to the target group.
    I am the owner of all groups and did all this in the Zotero client.
  • Collections can not be copied within the same group.
    Yes, there's no way to create a copy of a collection within the same library. It probably should be possible (via modifier key perhaps), but I honestly don't remember anyone asking before. The use case is also somewhat odd I think, and tags, rather than collections, probably fit here better. Do you mind elaborating on the use case so we can figure out if this is something that Zotero wants to support?
    after the first time you drag a collection of a group to a collection of the target group, the collection that was dragged can not again be dragged to any other collection of the target group
    That's sort of for the same reason as above. Making copies of collections within a library is not supported. Zotero thinks that you want to drag the same collection, which currently does nothing (I think. It may update items within that collection)

The behavior you're seeing is expected and I'm not really certain if it should change (dragging the same collection to a group library should provide some better feedback to the user, but I don't think it should create another copy... or maybe it should). Feel free to expand on your use case so we can better understand if this can be more broadly applicable.
  • edited March 9, 2015
    I am a fan of Zotero and I am starting an experimental corporate project, with an unusual use of Zotero.
    It is a project for the management, organization and access to corporate information through Zotero references that will describe and link to this corporate information.
    This is an expanded use of Zotero, but I am almost certain that Zotero has the potential to support this application.
    In simplified terms, using a group of library for a large corporate area, I will create several collections, one for each sub-area of the company. Each of these collections will have a set of sub-collections. Each subcollection has a name that represents the types of references that it will contain. Each of these reference will describe and point to a file, with corporate information of interest, located in the IT network of the company or to a location on the Web.
    Therefore, this set of subcollections is repeated for each corporate sub-area.
    Thus, to facilitate the work to repeatedly create the same set of subcollections, I tried the solution described above, creating a pattern group with that standard set of subcollections to drag them to the different collections of the original group.
    However the problem is that after the first time you drag a collection of a group to a collection of another group, the collection that was dragged can not again be dragged to any other collection of the target group, or even to the target group.
  • So in this case you're not actually interested in copying items within the collection, you just want to replicate the collection subtree. I'll have to think about this, but I don't currently see how Zotero would support this in an intuitive way.
  • Yes, I forgot to clarify this point.
    This project expands the power of Zotero, and I believe that the possibility of copying several times just empty subcollections to collections of another group, may be helpful.
    Obviously, this possibility is not critical to my project, but it would be of great help.
  • edited March 13, 2015
    Hello!
    Another question.
    This is a corporate project that expands the use of Zotero.
    As stated in the documentation of Zotero, there is no limit to the number of members of a group.
    However, if this number is very large, and the total of the group Administrators also is large, is there the possibility of problems with synchronization, between Web base and local bases,arising from a large amount of concurrent updates?
    Thank you.
  • Are they going to edit tags and collections? That might cause problems.
  • No. The question does not refer to the possibility of simultaneous updates of the same object (collections or tag references), but to the possibility of many simultaneous updates of different objects, because the group will be unique.
    The collections will be pre-defined and tend to be stable.
    As for the tags of the references, they tend to be little changed, and each set of references belonging to a collection will be changed by a specific administrator.
  • that should be fine then. Many people changing different things are fine. The biggest issue are currently tags: if the same tag is changed on different items by different users that causes problems (because of the way Zotero stores tags).
  • As long as the concurrent changes are being made to different items in Zotero, you shouldn't see sync conflicts (keep the automatic sync on, so the syncs happen as frequently as possible).
  • Just curious.
    What does this mean "if the same tag is changed on different items by different users that causes problems"?
  • a single tag is essentially treated like a single item: that is, if two users "modify" the same tag (i.e. add or remove it from items) on different computers between syncs, that causes a sync conflict. Rather than trying to let users resolve that, though, Zotero will add the tag to any item it's associated with on either computer. It'll display a message on sync.
    That behavior will likely change in the future, but not sure when.
  • edited March 13, 2015
    "It'll display a message on sync".
    Is it the update conflict message in more than one place, showing the panels with each update to the user to choose which he/she want to keep?
  • no, it's just a message that the tag has been added to items in all locations, not a dialog, there's not option to choose.
  • Okay. Thank you very much!
    As I said, I am a fan of the Zotero.
    So I would like, on another day, explain better what is this application, which is in the field of enterprise information management, because I believe that it expands the use Zotero possibilities while remaining within their original functions.
    However, I do not want to take the time of yours unnecessarily. So I want to know if you are interested in this information.
  • Hi!
    Given a reference (item), can I find out which member of a group who registered this reference (item) in the group's library?
    If possible, how?
    Thank U.
  • Hi!
    Given a reference (item) from a group of library, can its owner or administrator find out which member of this group who registered this reference (item) in the group's library?
    If possible, how?
    Thank U.
  • edited March 17, 2015
    the online display of a group has an "added by" column. It's not available in the client (Zotero Standalone or Zotero for Firefox).
  • Excuse me, but if you are referring to the attributes of each reference in the center pane, I can see all that are available but can not find one ""added by"column". I'm in Brazil and in the Portuguese version can not find anything similar. However, I note that the "Edit" (Edição) attribute appears repeated in the list to select the attributes that should be displayed.
  • If you have a "center" pane, you're looking at the Zotero software, where, as I say, this isn't available. It's only available in the group library on zotero.org.
  • edited March 17, 2015
    Excuse me! Ever seen. I read your message very quickly and did not realize "It's not."
    However, could this attribute be added to the local Zotero?
    In some enterprise applications this can be useful.
  • currently no, for technical reasons, in the (foreseeable but not very near) future yes.
  • It's amazing how quickly and the quality of the answers you provide.
    Thank you very much!
  • "after the first time you drag a collection of a group to a collection of the target group, the collection that was dragged can not again be dragged to any other collection of the target group"

This needs to change. I see no point in limiting this functionality. In my case, I imported a data pull (PDFs of articles downloaded) as the articles were downloaded. I'd like to keep that set in-tact, but duplicate it in order to use some of Zotero's functions, such as renaming from parent metadata, on a clean set, which I would rename to "data pull with renamed." But, now I'm stuck and can't drag the unnamed collection to the group or the renamed collection into my personal library.

Why limit this functionality? I assumed if it was possible once that it would be possible twice. Now I've wasted my time. Help?!
  • While we've said in various other locations that we envision Zotero to handle this better (and no one denies the current behavior isn't ideal), it's quite obviously incorrect that there is "no point" to limit how easily you can duplicate items. Avoiding involuntary duplicates seems quite useful. That's the rationale behind the current behavior, and I'm pretty sure that any improvements will still keep that alive.

In your particular situation (I don't quite understand why it involves a group, but so be it), you could e.g. use export --> import to create actual duplicates. That would seems to work quite nicely for what you want.
  • It's also obvious we're talking about voluntary, not involuntary, duplicates since the question involves dragging items.

I would suggest that involuntary duplicates should always be avoided and voluntary duplicates be always allowed. That way, the user--not the program--decides when something is duplicated. Is there a way to choose what function "dragging" an item to a folder performs - to choose to "move" an item instead of "copying" when you drag it?

For instance, dragging a PDF into another folder automatically creates a duplicate of it instead of moving it, which means if you really wanted to move it you have to remove the other one (major problem if you're dealing with a lot of files, which people using a PDF manager would be). So you can't actually organize your files as your would in any other file structure on a computer - which makes the functionality tough for new users, like me, to adopt.

In answer to the question about why my situation would involve a group: I have my own library and it contains the folder for this project. I also have a group for the project so that my project advisors can access the PDFs that I want to share with them. I wanted to put the same collections and subcollections in both places in two ways: One copy archived "as is" and the other "adjusted" using notes, rename from metadata, etc.

Some things in both my personal library folder and in the group for the advisors will need to be duplicated. This is currently impossible, so far as I understand. It would be lovely if it was as easy as a drag and drop - so I can keep my files in my library, but share a copy of them with my group.

Can you explain the export--> import you suggest for creating actual duplicates? I exported an RDF and can't get it to import.
  • well, the point is that dragging items to a library twice isn't a very strong indicator of duplicating on purpose (I'd think allowing "duplicate item" as a batch operation would make more sense for that).

But either way. This isn't going to change in any way super quickly, so let's just solve your problem:

Starting from the group: export the collection as Zotero RDF, then import, select the exported file and it will appear as a new collection in My Library.

Starting from My Library involves one more step (since it's currently not possible to import files easily into groups, which is not intentional but simply not fully implemented):
    1. Export the collection from my library
    2. Import it (which will place it in My Library
    3. Move the imported collection over to the group. You can choose to delete it in My Library or leave it there as you prefer.

Or what is the poblem when you say "can't get it to import"?
  • For instance, dragging a PDF into another folder automatically creates a duplicate of it instead of moving it, which means if you really wanted to move it you have to remove the other one
    that's a misunderstanding, btw. That's not a copy in the sense you're treating it. It's the same item in two different locations. So if you move it to the trash from one collection (as opposed to just removing it from the collection), it will disappear from all collections it's in.

But you can toggle that behavior by holding the shift (Win/Linux) or Cmd (Mac) key while dragging.
  • Hello - Problem with importing: I exported an RDF of the collection to desktop. Then, while MyLibrary is selected/highlighted/live I clicked File-->Import. The dialogue box to select the file to import won't let me choose that RDF - it wants to open it, and then open the folder in it called "files" and then open each numbered file to reveal the PDF in each one. I can't seem to re-import that entire file.