Thumbnail of Attachments!

How about when I hover over either the entry in the citation list, or in the attachment list, a small thumbnail of that attachment (be it pdf file, web page snapshot, etc) pops up so I can quickly see if that is what I am looking for.

Keep up the great work!
  • 5+ stars to this feature.

Or it can be pictured in the side panel (at least), when an attachment is active (selected). Or as a new tab in the side panel.

Cheers,
  • I love it that happens... three years later and boom! There it is!

Awesome plugin - thanks for the hard work to the plugin developer and Zotero team. Eager for the standalone version.
  • edited June 22, 2015
    I think that having thumbnails visible for an item or a search would be very valuable. I use Zotero to manage my figures, and although the quicklook is a saviour, having to spacebar+spacebar+downArrow+spacebar(...) routine is not that handy.
    A thumbnail view as an alternative to the list view would be a visual solution, of a new tab on the right that would show thumbnails regarding to the selected item on the list.
    [EDIT]
    I've found a cumbersome workaround. Select multiple items or attachments or item with multiple attachments and quicklook will give ou a pen with multiple previews and (most importantly) the name of the attachment.
    I still think it would be better to have a direct preview in the form of a thumbnail which could be selected and have commands (in a context menu or shortcut or drag and drop) made on the thumbnail itself.
  • THUMBNAIL VIEW FOR ARTWORK ITEMS
    I would also like to propose an option for a thumbnail view as an alternative to the list view. Especially when the 'Type item' is an artwork. As an art historian I noticed that a useful program to manage a (oeuvre/ exhibition/...) catalogue in progress is still lacking. And I hear the same of colleagues worldwide. In the beginning stage of an art historical research, titles are often still irrelevant. The images are the true cornerstone for the art historians work and their way of thinking which is based on a visual memory. Zotero would be the ultimate program to prepare a catalogue as only it would be more easy to brows to through the images of the incorporated artworks.
    In this case it should be possible to make a distinction between the main image of the artwork, which would be visible as a thumbnail, and relating images you want to attach to this artwork.
    The Quicklook-plugin is already helpful, but thumbnails would make it much more swift to work with.
  • If you're doing very image-heavy research, I'd keep an eye on Tropy, to be released shortly from the makers of Zotero: https://tropy.org/
    I can see thumbnails happening in Zotero at some point and I see their appeal, but I'd be surprised if that happend in the next year or probably two.
  • Hi there!

I realise it's been a long time since this thread has been active but has there been any signs of development on this front?

I love Tropy but it's just not got all the features I need.

Thanks!
  • The ZoteroQuickLook plugin is available that lets you preview attachments using the space bar. Otherwise, major changes to the interface like this won’t be possible until Zotero migrates to a new platform (the same one Tropy uses) in a future version.
  • Thanks for the response, Bwiernik!

Any rumours on this front of when this could happen?
  • Hi, is there any news about if and when this feature will be added? It would be great to quickly browse collections visually. Thanks!
  • Tropy, mentioned above, is now released. For Zotero, there's no indication of if and when this will happen. As per the above, the earliest possible that _could_ happen is after the switch to a new platform, which is still a good bit out.
  • OK, thanks anyway